View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 05:14 AM   #84
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Asgon: In my opinion we do not have enough evidence for such a story. Even so we think that he might have been the story teller of part of the Narn and The Wanderings of Húrin, we do not even have a hart evidence for that.

{Cum-na-Arasaith}[Haudh-en-Arasaith]: I can see the logic behind this change. Bt we I don't think we a change attested from {Cum-...}[Haudh-...], or have I missed it? The change from {...-na-...}[...-en-...] is attested, so I would agree to that at least.

Quote:
From RD-EX-35 and the whole story of the Dwarves' stay in Menegroth, I think I would be against C..TH's scheme. The Dwarfs should leave and when they start manufacturing again according to RD-EX-37
I do not fully understand what you mean here. I used parts of TN to form the text, and thus added the treacherous designs and Thingol forcing the Dwraves to stay, which are neither mentioned nor explicitly denied in Concerning ... 'The Horad'. If you think these elements are to be left out, I can agree to that. But the Dwarven Smiths never left Menegroth before their work was finished.

RD-EX-54: I don't agree to this statement. A pre-mediated war upon Doriath for not more than a thithe of the Hoards unwrought gold and silver must be considered an over reaction (spezially in an elf-centrict story as the Silmarillion is). And that JRR Tolkien was of that opinion as well, is seen in the very late Galadriel and Celeborn text which we used to skip the Dwarves from Belegost. Anyhow even if the rason for the war would have been just, the war would have tainted the friendship between Elves and Dwarves, which is all that is said here in more drastical words.

RD-SL-21: I like your idea to place the actual passing of the Dwarves trough the Girdle after that dialog between Melian and the Eflmaid. But I see an issue how to switch back to Menegroth and Melian afterwards. But That should be a solveable editorial issue.

RD-EX-62b: You skipt the passage from Concerning ... 'The Horad' about the former impossibility of passing the Girdle. Even so I can see the beter flwo that you created, I Think the explicit contarst shown in Concerning ... 'The Horad' shouldn't be lost.

Sarn Athrod as ford over Ascar: Yes that was my argument. And Concerning ... 'The Horad' does specifiy that the battle side is at Ascar even so in an indirect way:
- Beren 'waylaid the Dwarves on their return march, at a ford across one of “Seven Rivers of Ossir”'
- 'The gold and silver was cast into the river' (emphasis added) - which clearly means the same river that the ford crossed.
- that river 'hereafter bore a new name, signifying “Golden-bed”' - as soon as the battle was moved from the border of Doriath (Ford over Aros) to Ossiriand the re-named river has ever been Ascar, even when the Battle was at a ford over Duin Daer (Gelion).
Yes, for me it is clear that the Dwarf-road crossed 'Duin Daer' at 'Athrad Daer', the 'Great Ford', run for considerable way along the north of Ascar and then crossed Ascar at 'Sarn Athrad', the 'Stony Ford'.
Just arriving at Ascar is not enough. Concerning ... 'The Hoard' tells us that the battle was at a ford - at least that is made very explicit, and as argued above for me that ford is over Ascar.

Respectfuly
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote