View Single Post
Old 07-31-2004, 09:25 AM   #249
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield A new arrival

Eodwine rode up to the White Horse Inn and dismounted from Flíthaf, his chestnut stallion. He walked Flíthaf to the ostler, who gave him good morning. Eodwine returned the good word and removed his prized satchel from its place by the saddle at Flíthaf's side. He made for the front doors of the Inn. He was tall and blonde, a veteran of the War, and now King's Messenger, dressed in the colors and markings of the King of Rohan.

He was looking forward to a few days' well earned rest. In just the last few months there had been an urgent message from King Eomer to King Elessar, followed by an equally urgent errand to Steward Faramir in Ithilien. This much was no surprise. The usual course of events would have sent him back to King Eomer once again, but Faramir had had a surprise for him. And so he had made off for Dol Amroth and Prince Imrahil. He had been looking forward to it, for he had not been down that way while a soldier in the war, nor on his errands since then as King's Messenger. Having delivered his message to Prince Imrahil, Eodwine had expected to travel back to Minas Tirith, and thence to Edoras to report to his king. But it had not been so, which at the time had dumbfounded him. But Prince Imrahil had used the courtesy that passed between these noble leaders, and sent Eomer's Messenger on yet another errand! So Eodwine had ridden west, bringing word from Prince Imrahil to a land holder in Anfalas, along the western most reaches of the hills called Pinnath Gelin. This landholder, one Irmandil, had immediately set out for Dol Amroth, as Eodwine knew he would. And Irmandil had had no duty, nor the right, to send Eodwine anywhere. Of course, if Irmandil had had an errand for him that would have been on his way back to Edoras, Eodwine would of course have seen to it. As it was, Eodwine crossed the lonely Lethnui river, passed through the forest between the mountains and skirted the western flank of Ered Nimrais, entering Rohan only days ago, and having reported to the King just yesterday.

At least all the riding had kept him happy with new places to see, if not old bad memories away.

He passed through the door. It was quiet inside, which made sense, it being morning. Well, he had gold to spend and had every intention of doing just that. It was darker than he remembered in the Common Room, and it took him a moment standing in the doorway before he made out Bethberry, the owner of the inn, and a woman whom he did not know, speaking with an old man, a young one who must be his son, and an elf. An elf! Eodwine had never gotten used to Elves, especially since before the war, they had been beings of mystery and stayed hidden. By now he had met a few, and befriended one or two, but still remained in awe of them. He walked forward and greeted Bethberry.

"I give you good morning!"

"Good morning to you!" she replied.

"How do you fare, Bethberry?"

"Well as always. And you? Where have you been these last few months?"

He gave her the rundown of his recent errands, then asked, "Who is Innkeeper now? I recognize no one besides you."

"Aylwen is my inkeeper. She will be happy to make your acquaintance. Go greet her."

"I will, at that!" Eodwine smiled and went over to the four. "I give you good morning! I am Eodwine of the Gap, just back from errands far and wide with days to myself and gold to spend, first on a hearty breakfast if that may be had, and then we shall see. Whom do I have the pleasure of meeting this fine morning?"