View Single Post
Old 07-25-2004, 09:14 AM   #247
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
"How long does it take someone to be from somewhere?" Bethberry asked this muddy elf from Rivendell.

He was taken aback by this question and hummed and mumbled for a bit. Once Aedre came to take his request for food, however, he found his conversational tone once more and looked back up at the woman.

"No hard and fast rule to that, to be sure," he replied. "Except that people who don't answer straight or directly or evade answers with more questions often have motives for hiding their true natures."

Bethberry laughed, a throaty laugh which shook her shoulders and shook her thoughts out of the complacent and comfortable ease she had fallen into here in Edoras. It was true she was short tempered with those who were forgetting the War of the Ring but it was also true that she had been here at The White Horse so long she had forgotten her years and years of wandering Middle earth. It had been a long while since she had been questioned about herself, for people had come to accept her status here as if she had belonged; she had forgotten what it was like to have to be wary and cautious about being a strange traveller in lands where strangers were uncommon, despite the elf's claim of suberfuge to her question.

"I ask merely out of the desire for conversation, Umwë of Rivendell, and not to hide anything of my past. Indeed, I have been here long years in Rohan and can barely remember when I first learnt the language of the People of the Mark." At this she glanced over at Aylwen, who seemed to have successfully concluded her conversation with Sigurd and Ossric. Bethberry was keen to know how that had gone and hoped old Ossric might join them here, to extend the conversation, but she was too polite to interrupt the elf at this point.

'I came in part to answer to need of a friend and her family, Ćlfritha, whose home towards the Westfold was facing troubled times. The family was famous as one particularly skilled in the breeding and breaking and training of hourses, yet horses were becoming wild and skittish and unmanageable. It was a dire time and strange, before people knew what the White Wizard was doing in Isengard."

She sat back in her chair and waited for the elf to consider that, while trying to catch Ossric's eye.