View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #437
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I know I've been really quiet of late; I thought I was just generally low on energy, but it turns out I was putting it all into a daft little Edwardian murder mystery story. Now the draft is done, I suddenly feel able to reply here. [Facepalm] I am not very self-aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I haven't really thought about it. It would need an intro, to give a little space after the climax of Luthien's victory. But it can be short, like Meeting, or I could make it longer. Do you have a preference? No plans means I can easily accommodate nearly any time span.
The reason I was asking is that I want the first 'after' image to be Finrod's empty throne, tying in with the opening lines ("I don't see these stone-carven walls/For I know that you are not there"). That means, if there's a long intro, I would need to draw something for it, and I figured it would be a good place to tell the rest of the Lay of Leithian. But I didn't know whether I needed to plan for that.

Quote:
Thing is, I actually like the music aspect of that recording, I thought I did fairly well. The only question is in the recording quality. If it doesn't sound like an old radio on your end, and sounds sufficiently un-Elvish, I think I'll keep it, at least until the day I redo everything.
I listened to this way back, and the quality was fine.

Quote:
I have finally reached the last milestone in Aria before the end, up to "blood and sorrow", and here is the promised progress report. Of note, I slightly shortened the musical intermission in the middle from previous. For the final stanza, Melian sings in the bars without melody notes played, while Thingol's melody is outlined (it's the same as the other repetitions except for the word "arrow").
I think this is beautiful music but I can't make head or tail of it on a casual listen. ^_^ A shorter intermission sounds good - I was surprised at how long it was in the previous version - but yeah, it all sounds lovely. Can't wait to hear it sung!

Quote:
I am chipping away at the remnant of Aria very slowly. It wasn't comjng together verh well, but it's gonna happen eventually.
And luckily there is nothing happening on the Downs to distract you from it! ^_~

Quote:
In the meantime, another lyrics question that occurred to me:

But fathers do not choose their daughters
Vs
And fathers do not choose their daughters

It's another very minor semantic quibble, but I wonder if the latter carries Thingol's theme more smoothly. Hey Melian, you're being unfair, I disagree woth Luthien, and since I can't change her I change what I can in her best interest, even at the cost of myself and Doriath.
I've always seen this line as tinged with regret. He's not justifying himself to Melian - he's saying a combination of 'I don't want her to be this way' and 'I wish I'd realised sooner how different [or alike!] we are'. For that, 'but' works better than 'and'.

Quote:
Coming back to the troublesome line from before, there's also Mh King, your words have lost the battle!, which avoids all descriptions of his words if you're not a fan of them. That also made me think of My husband dear, you've lost the battle!, but the level of scorn there belongs in Melian shall be the sole queen of Doriath. I am happy with the line as is, but if it's still making you itch I can help look for alternatives.
I think I'm happy with 'reckless' for now; it's grown on me. ^_~ I'll keep these in mind for if I start getting annoyed with it again.

Quote:
On a totally different note, I was gonna make use of the recent activity to signature-advertise the Zong. I'm probably gonna put up a quote which would be representative of the work, but not spoil any dramatic moment. Current candidates are one of the My Griefs from Ballad to Amarie (probably the cannot return one), and the arrow set in flight stanza from Truth. Hmm, maybe "You came from under darkened dome, you enter now the secret land. - Take me to Finrod's fabled home!". What would you pick as the one quote to rule them all?
Okay, this is a lovely idea and I shall steal it shamelessly. Probably my favourite line is:

And even then in shadowed hall
I'll face the mightiest of all
And I will take what is and always has been mine!

-Luthien Tinuviel, Finrod: The Rock Opera

But it might be a bit too dramatic-moment-y.

I'm tempted by:

The Song's unfinished / Give me no more prophesying

... but when Werewolf's in the offing having a 'prophesy' signature might be taken the wrong way.

For a one-line quote, I might actually go for:

Have you burned the ships that could bear you back again?

... or, y'know:

An ancient oath is leading our House down this road
An ancient oath has bound us by blood in the night

I feel like "Truth" in particular relies too much on the whole thing; you can't one-or-two line it and keep the impact.

EDIT: And literally thirty seconds later...

In the hour when slumber calls / And the cloak of Night dulls the air
I don’t see these stone-carven walls / For I know that you are not there.

~Finrod: The Rock Opera

(Using Galadriel's version because 'not' requires less explanation than 'still'.)

hS

Last edited by Huinesoron; 04-19-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote