View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 10:34 AM   #424
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Time's weave unravels into night...

...Seriously, I might have accidentally broke time. Or at least the time signature.

Progress (with voice, because I realize it's hard to make sense of the melody without it)

I am in need of advice on a couple points. First of all, the interlude. I'm reasonably happy with the way the first half turned out, "falling down in shadow", so to speak. But the time signature rather did get away from me, creating this weird effect when it gradually regains normal rhythm. I've thought of a way to make the transition less time-warpy, both more smooth and more abrupt, and it would shorten that section by several seconds. However, on second thought, I wonder if time-warpy is actually a good thing, in which case I could even accentuate it. What are your thoughts?

My second question, or questions, is about the coming verses. Do you see Thingol's response as reasonable sounding, or also angry? And the Thingol-echoes. I remember you're not a fan of his echoing "What madness have I done". But what about during the stanzas? Different versions do this to a different extent. I think this is the combined max of where Thingol can join in:

[Melian alone]
Hear now a truth that you forgot
Above all vows and laws and kingdoms:
To love but once, this is our lot
[Together]
To love but once, this is our lot
We Firstborn Children of Creation

[Melian]
And she will follow only him
(Thingol: And she will follow only him)
Who pierced her heart with loving arrow
(Thingol: Who pierced her heart with loving arrow)
And towers will crumble on the hills
[Together]
And they will bathe the Silmaril
In their hearts' blood and endless sorrow!

This would be giving Thingol the most opportunities to add his voice. We can use all or some or none. I think it's cool when they duet, but I don't feel strongly about it.

And last but not least, a question about the lyrics. The trouble with singing things in half-memorized state is that I tend to fill in the blanks in memory with whatever seems right. Most of these instances I've already corrected for myself, but there is one that may be a legitimate possibility. "Your foolish words have lost the battle" - vs "your battle". Is there a preference, based on what exactly Melian is talking about?