View Single Post
Old 03-12-2021, 05:17 PM   #414
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I think the only actual mispronunciation I caught was 'fumë' in the first verse, which should be 'foomë'; I think you used (ironically!) the vowel from 'fume'. I can see what you mean about entulu/ava, but it passes as a schwa with no problems.

The neural connections are strong. They are stubbornly connecting the visual of the letters "fume" to the speech centres forming the sounds for "fume". It's so hard to get rid of this pronunciation. I was trying to imagine the word written in Cyrillic to get rid of this association, and I'm still not sure if I've fully succeeded.

I also realized after I finished recording multiple takes that I'm not very consistent with double consonants. Sometimes I pronounce them as double, and sometimes I don't make the distinction. How noticeable is that, and do I need to fix it?

Here's the take I was most happy with. Let me know if anything stands out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
The stress is probably in completely the wrong place! My vague memory is that Quenya strongly prefers to stress the second syllable from the end, but I've just stuck it wherever works for the song. I do the same in English (a-MIIII-ca-bly), so at least I'm consistent. ^_^
Considering I have the bending of the laws of grammar on my conscience, I'm not one to judge. ^.^ But it's good to know I'm neither crazy about plain-text Quenya, nor completely mis-singing the song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Heh, I confess: I'm pulling the grammar from Ardalambion and the words from Eldamo (which is a fantastic resource and I will be very sad when it someday goes the way of all internet). I actually did the Ardalambion Quenya course back in the day, but mostly what I'm using from that is things like 'dual forms exist' or 'there's a verb specifically for introducing a speech' (equë, parsed as 'thus spake'). I can remember the structure of the language, but the details are coming from the web.
That is still so incredibly impressive. I can't imagine how you do it, but I'm glad you do it. And always happy to lend the partial Russian accent to any Elvish project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
There are actually two Q. verbs 'to die': firë and qualë. Firë is also glossed 'breathe forth, fade', so you'd think it would be the Elvish version, but 'fírima' means 'mortal, able to die'. The actual distinction they seem to make is that qualë is connected to pain - ie, it's closer to 'be slain'. So the difference is willing vs unwilling death, I guess? Sindarin may have the same distinction: they have a verb fir-, 'to die', but also a noun 'gurth', 'death', apparently used in violent contexts.
Fascinating! So distinguishing a natural death from an unnatural one. I suppose that also makes perfect sense with Elvish "physiology", with both willing and unwilling deaths a possibility. I suppose very few mortals have "willing" deaths, but there are still natural deaths that I suppose can be likened to wearying of the world, or a weakening hold on the world, as opposed to untimely unnatural deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
True... but at some point we're going to do Appeal and Amarie, and then I'll want to do a single video of everything up to the Aria, so I need to have it ready by then. ^_^
You follow your schedule, I'll try to follow mine, and maybe we'll finish this before the Sun fails and the Moon is dead?

Speaking of that, I am sadly not making good progress on Aria. I was definitely overexcited for it, and I'm getting the same problem as with Oath and Renunciation: I can write the notes, but it doesn't sound right. I kept trying to fix it, but I might just erase the whole thing and start from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Now that's a very good idea. Here's the revised version, which I think I'm happy with (for now!):
Nice! I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I've taken the liberty of naming the minions - Draugluin is obvious, Thuringwethil is the veiled woman, and the orc-like creature gets to be Gorgol, who gets one mention in the Lay of Leithian:
Gorgol sounds like an excellent name for the scarecrow-orc minion. That snaga. ^.^

I've put both new videos on the intro post now, and even dared to put a placeholder for Aria in hopes that it will come back to me.

PS: my brand new earphones are now malfunctioning too. >< I'm only hearing out of one side - maybe that's why the Aria keeps sounding wrong, if I don't hear half the instruments properly? :-D

PPS: forgot to mention: in Minions, around 1:07, there is a little flash of minion which I am not sure was intentional. Just wanted to bring it up.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 03-13-2021 at 07:34 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote