View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 07:09 AM   #406
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Nothing in particular, especially nothing to emphasize that I thought of. More that it has a nice ring to it, and semantics-wise seems more of a promise rather than a certainty of "will", which doesn't contradict the statement. Thowback to the "You cannot / shall not pass" discussions. But I don't think it needs such an emphasis, and if you feel it's a stronger word then I wouldn't go for it.
It's not a bad call; and thinking about it, an extra sibilant in that final verse would work nicely. "Unecsssspected midnight pleassssure / Thissss sssshall brighten up my leisssssure / Foolissssh elvesss have here adventured / Ssssssuch fine entertainment!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
The Taliska rubbing off?
Oh, don't, or you'll wind up with Yorkshire Beren again. Or worse - I'll wind up figuring out what everyone's accents would actually sound like, and that path ends with an Elvish Zong project.

(in which most of the songs are Sindarin, Galadriel and Amarie only use Quenya, and the SoF use Quenya when they're by themselves; Minions would be in Salonian Black Speech, and Beren singing alone - the opening of Neldoreth, and his solo in Dream - would be Adunaic for now, standing in for Taliska once the fabled Grammar appears)

(and Luthien and co speak Doriathrin Sindarin, which is slightly different; and Amarie uses Vanyarin Quenya, which again is different; and and and)

(look where you've sent my mind)

EDIT:

Queta nin, Orikon, queta:
Collolairelya ezella?
Ma lótilya palda vaima?
Ma fumë nusë, háno?
Meldanya háno,
Apsenita indo.

Queta, Enyalië, queta:
Manen aurarya hehtanes?
Ma silmë i elen cennes?
Palantirë veryanes
Umbar illi hos,
Umbar húna hos.

Tell to me, Heather, tell:
Your summer cloak [is] green?
Are your blossoms [a] wide robe?
Does he sleep beneath, brother?
My beloved brother,
The forgiving heart.

Tell, Memory, tell:
How all his possessions he forsook?
Light of which star did he see?
To far-see he dared
The fate of all the Host
Accursed fate of the Host.

The 'Ap-' at the end of stanza 1 is one of those additional pre-syllables I abuse so often, but otherwise I think it both scans and rhymes. 'Orikon' is a very old word for heather, while 'ezella' is an adoption from Valian; I've allowed Galadriel to use both for poetry. Also it amuses me immensely that the very first word is 'Speak!'

hS

Last edited by Huinesoron; 03-08-2021 at 08:38 AM.
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote