View Single Post
Old 08-31-2023, 01:05 PM   #118
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
'Concerning "The Hoard"' says only that Thingol sent for the Dwarves of Nogrod and Belegost. It does not say that the emissaries and craftsmen who came to Menegroth were from both cities, much less that both groups took part in the attack.

Since Belegost and Nogrod are so frequently mentioned together, it also seems at least possible to me that mentioning both of them in CtH was a slip of the pen, and that he had momentarily forgotten the decision that Belegost was not involved.

Lacking a more definitive statement about it, I'm inclined to retain the story that only the Dwarves of Nogrod were involved.

About the hunt: I can see the argument either way. I'll agree to whichever consensus others come to on this one.
Did you notice the plural in:

Quote:
Back in their mountains’ strongholds they plotted revenge, and not long after they came down with a great force and invaded Doriath.
That plus:

Quote:
Also (they now urged) the treasure had been taken with violence and murder from a Dwarf (though Mim was not in fact akin to the Dwarves of the eastern mountains)
The context of which to me at least heavily suggests that both Nogrod and Belegost were involved.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote