View Single Post
Old 08-13-2023, 06:20 AM   #95
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
In all my time reading about the numerous arguments over the CtH, I've yet to see this one (which to me, at least, seems obvious as day):

Could the evil within mentioned as a possible cause for the downfall of the Girdle of Melian in Concerning... 'The Hoard' be as simple as Hurin's sheer admittance to Doriath?

That man, after he was released from Angband, has been a walking, talking doomsday device for anyone and anything close to him.

While I originally despised Turgon for not admitting Hurin into Gondolin immediately - given all the things he has done to save Gondolin's hide - I now honestly think that it might have been for the best.

Hurin, just by his sheer presence in the vicinity of Gondolin managed to tip off Morgoth to Gondolin's general location - after which, it was only a matter of time until Gondolin itself was found.

But given the fact that every realm (and people!) who had given him any acceptance after his release ended up absolutely demolished, it makes me think that Gondolin would've somehow manage to fall to ruin even earlier than had Turgon not hesitated about letting him in: which would've essentially killed all hope (i.e. Earendil) that the people of Beleriand had.

After all, Hurin's epithet Thalion ("Steadfast") goes both ways - steadfast in friendship and loyalty (almost to an insane point), and steadfast in utter hatred and destruction of all that he deems responsible for his family's demise (real or imagined).

One other thing - the dragon-spell(s) is very much a real thing in Tolkien's universe (evidenced by this text and The Hobbit, as well The Children of Hurin): which makes Hurin even scarier and his raw hatred for everything and everyone even more formidable, given the fact that he single-handedly managed to control this group of hardened warriors/outlaws possessed by the dragon-spell with his sheer presence, with the outlaws only giving in to temptation (and the resultant battle with Thingol's guards) after Hurin leaves.

Anyway - just a cool little detail.

Another point - I find the Dwarves in CtH faaar more reasonable and behaved than in the previous versions (especially The Nauglafring): in my opinion, having the Dwarves still intent on abducting Melian is just utterly at odds with everything that's been said of them in the new text.

Also, in The Silmarillion, I was always under the impression that the Dwarves just ransacked all of Doriath willy nilly, with no regards to the civilians or their agreement with Thingol - this is simply not the case here; the Dwarves are only intent on:

1) killing Thingol in retribution, and (regrettably) any of his soldiers that get in the way

2) taking their agreed upon payment (with some interest)

The Dwarves only get screwed after they take more than is their due (i.e. Nauglamir with the Silmaril in it).

P.S. The dragon-spell is a hell of a drug!

Also, Asgon most certainly dies (unless he saw the error of his ways and abandoned Hurin before his arrival to Doriath).

Last edited by Arvegil145; 08-13-2023 at 07:17 AM.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote