View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 07:16 AM   #33
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
from Sauron the White

Quote:
Quote:
We are discussing the merits, or lack of merit, to the depiction of Gimli on Balins tomb and later on Denethors throne. Both are film scenes and have nothing to do with the books.~STW
reply from Boromir 88
Quote:
Actually the discussion has very much to do with the books. As much as one might like to try and keep the two seperate, it's impossible to do so because it is the same story. This tends to happen when you get the disclaimer at the beginning of the movies..."based off of ________"
I understand your point but I think it is important to go back to the very first post in this thread to see what the intent of the poster was. MatthewM very clearly indicated that he was talking about the way Gimli was being used in the movie. His argument is based on a misuse of Gimli within the movie. I think that is the proper and very legitimate approach in discussing the films.

The replies here, and there have been many coming at this from various angles, have concerned themselves with the world of the films - as I think is right.

Aragorn may not have yet assumed the crown in a formal ceremony but by that time in the tale, everyone knew , including all in that throne room, who Aragorn was and what his position was. Quempel had a great point in that if Aragorn wanted Gimli to sit in the chair of the vacant steward, then that certainly is okay. Who in that room was going to challenge that boon extended to Gimli by Aragorn? And I think they had far greater things on their minds than the mere courtesy extended to a chair and who it did or did not represent.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote