Thread: LotR2-TTT-Seq08
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
re the cloaks - the three hunters were not hiding from the rohirrim. Indeed, this is EXACTLY as it was in the books. The rohirrim can be seen as going past the three hunters, ie not noticing them, in some way because of their cloaks, and only turned once Aragorn stated the line 'What news from the North' etc.
In the books, Strider suggests that they move off of the hilltop, where they would be more easily seen. Eomer almost rides over them until Aragorn stands and states what you posted. Later, when they discuss the apparent fate of the hobbits, I think that Aragorn uses that fact to cast some doubt, stating that Eomer almost rode past the Three Hunters in the light of day, and so consequently may not have seen the Hobbits.

Quote:
re the searchlight - areen't we told by tolkien (when sam wears the ring in mordor) that sauron's eye was continuosly searching around middle-earth for his Ring. So he's not omnipient and can't look in all places at the same time. we see this used as a plot devise in both book and movie later to help sam and frodo across the plains towards mount doom.
But doesn't the searchlight Eye smack you as a bit too literal? Oh, right, it's PJ, and so subtle ain't in his vocabulary.

Quote:
PS - regarding the gate - ill take another look - but the wood moving the gte open is acting as a LEVER - and therefore can move a large weight as required (i.e. why a wheel barrow works for example) - can't remember the exact physics but have a few books on it to back up my claims if required!!!!!
Bottom line first: The Black Gate did not open as I expected, was overcontrived and hokey and so took me out of the film. Regarding the physics of the Gate, I'm not going to go too far down that fanatical road, but it just seems a bit silly for the trolls to open something so large with such a small lever. This would be akin to opening a door with a stick that when in your hands was the diameter of a toothpick. And a wheelbarrow has the weight on the lever before the fulcrum. And my family has broken wooden wheelbarrow handles...