View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 10:02 PM   #22
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
Bęthberry, Someone I was with was just singing that song a few days ago.

Returning to the topic at hand, and, perhaps a bit more serious than my last post, some pertinent information from Vinyar Tengwar Vol. 6. VT, refering to the "Etymologies," lists three words in Quenya for "hair," locse, (hair), finde (braid or tress), and fasse (shaggy). I do not know if this supports or negates anyone's views regarding the length of the hair of male Elves.
Funny how music can both age us and unite us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Murry
How any of this relates to Elvish hair styles over millennia of time -- static. evolving, or cyclical -- I cannot say. In the present circumstances, as presented in the Rings of Impotence television series, Elvish "males" like Elrond, Celebrimbor, Finrod, and Gil-Galad, for example, look rather effeminate, if not gay, with their "less long than Legolas" hair styles, although they might have looked that way no matter how long or short their tresses.
Shaking my head loose from the earworm, I should add some more historical precedent. First, the gentlemen of the 18th century with their architecturally significant wigs--monarchs, philosophers, and the American "Founding Fathers", none of whom were I think particularly or specially important to Tolkien.

Of the top of my head I cannot recall any significant passages about hair in Old English literature or in Middle English lit either (that does not mean there aren't any which might relate) but there is one very significant passage which Tolkien no doubt knew very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Cor 11:14-15 KJV
Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
That smacks quite clearly with how Galadriel is depicted in LotR, but it also provides [Mithadan with some leaway about the length of hair amongst male elves.

EDIT: I would be remiss for failing to add the obvious symbolism of hair in the difference between the Roundheads and the Cavaliers in the English Civil War.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 11-20-2022 at 09:12 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote