View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 07:29 PM   #21
Michael Murry
Haunting Spirit

Michael Murry is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Will it Stop by Itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
I am afraid I seem to have developed an earworm. ... I return you now to your regular Tolkien channel.
Good catch. I had a similar experience remembering the Broadway musical "Hair" as well as the eponymous song by the Cowsills in the late 1960s. Very "Woodstock" and counter-culture. Of course, THE CULTURE struck back with "Okie From Muskogee," by country-and-western singer, Merle Haggard:

Quote:
We don't make a party out of lovin';
We like holdin' hands and pitchin' woo;
We don't let our hair grow long and shaggy
Like the hippies out in San Francisco do.
But as we know, times and the ambient Culture change. Fast-forward a few decades and the country-and- western "outlaws" like Willie Nelson sport long hair -- braided and/or scruffy -- which would have made them right at home in San Francisco of the late '60's.

How any of this relates to Elvish hair styles over millennia of time -- static. evolving, or cyclical -- I cannot say. In the present circumstances, as presented in the Rings of Impotence television series, Elvish "males" like Elrond, Celebrimbor, Finrod, and Gil-Galad, for example, look rather effeminate, if not gay, with their "less long than Legolas" hair styles, although they might have looked that way no matter how long or short their tresses.

Anyway, not to worry, because -- circling back to our opening earworm -- The Cowsills said to just let it grow:

Quote:
Down to here
Down to there
Down to where you never have to cut it
'Cause it stops by itself