Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 08:07 AM   #10664
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Ah, that explains it. I thought Dying=Dain would be the easiest one to get, and then you just look up who his son is. I pronounce all the -ain Dwarf names that way, Dain, Nain, Thrain... Do you say them all like Pain?
I do, and now I need to check if they all have accents. [Checks] They do, and so I have learned something today.

I wonder whether I heard an audio Hobbit when I was young - "Thorin son of Thrain son of Thror" is right there in my head. But the only one I remember owning (on cassette tape!) I don't think I ever listened to. (I did have a copy of Tolkien reading the Riddle-Game, but the dwarves amp't in that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
You are right it is Dwarves. And in this name, particularly connected to stone, even more so than in general concept.

Work with Rohirrim. See if there is a very similar-sounding name for Dwarves, starting with G.
The only word stuck in my head is Go-Hilleg, which is a Mannish name for the Numenorean invaders, so it's definitely not that. :-/

EDIT: Oh for Aule's sake, who let the Sindar get their grubby little mitts on the language? GONNHIRRIM, not a disease, but a group noun for the dwarves. I should have listened to my mind yelling "Gondobar!" at me sooner, it'd've pointed me in the right direction.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote