View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #634
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Supper is served, at last...

‘Well I can see your mother raised you up right, Master Hithadan!’

Rowan had just sailed back in through the door from the common room after having made the announcement that dinner was imminent. Though, she didn’t exactly use that word. ‘Loosen your belts, Good Folk! Supper is on its way!’ she’d called out as she arranged several baskets of hot biscuits on one end of a long line of tables she’d had put together. A number of the lads she’d drafted into helping her in this table moving task grinned at her and one or two winked and some rubbed their hands together in anticipation of the long awaited meal.

Hithadan had whipped the taters into a mountain of light and smooth delight. She dipped a clean finger into the inviting mound and savored the taste. ‘Ooh! And didn’t she use a lot of butter, and cream, too,’ she went on, holding up the empty jug that stood near the pot. ‘Why, I’ll bet she’s a Hobbit at heart if not by birth!’

She fetched down three huge serving bowls and divided the mashed potatoes among them. These went on to a large serving tray along with three carefully mounded platters of chicken. On another tray went several big bowls of buttery glistened peas and four large gravy boats.

‘Will, you get the one with the chicken and taters. Prim you take in the cutlery and more tea and mugs. I’ll grab up the peas and gravy.’

She cast a glance at the Ranger as he began to limp toward the door to the common room. ‘Best you stay here, Master Masher. I can see you’re hobbling now that you’re moving about. Go on, sit down at the table and put that leg up on a chair. I’ll dish you up a plate of food and bring you a pint of ale.’

Rowan hefted the tray of peas and gravy boats to her shoulder and made for the door. ‘Right then, my hungry friends. Get yourselves a plate and some cutlery and start the line – one on each side of the tables, if you please. Serve yourself. No pushing, please. There's plenty! Eat up; eat up. A little something sweet will follow.’

Though what that will be is anyone’s guess! she thought to herself as she dished up a generous helping of chicken, taters, gravy and peas for the ranger. Grabbing a large mug of ale from the bar, she made her way quickly back to the kitchen.

‘Cook!’ she called as she sat the plate in front of Hithadan along with the mug. ‘What have we got for dessert?’