View Single Post
Old 04-05-2002, 02:55 PM   #51
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Ring

Okay okay… after more thinking and considering, I’ve come to the conclusion that entertainment is not the ONLY purpose of art. I think that art is about communication and expression as well as enjoyment. You’re right, Kalessin, in saying that the purpose of art is the purpose of the artist. It’s about whatever the artist wanted to say or about communicating what he felt, whether it was an expression of love or hate, social commentary, both, or something else altogether.

I agree, Lush and Kalessin, that trials and suffering allow people to grow and appreciate beauty more. However, it really annoys me when people think that being miserable is the KEY to being deep. To me, being “deep” means moving me, touching me, opening doors for me, perhaps showing me new ways of thinking and of looking at life that I had never thought of before. It is using your life to touch mine in a way that would not have been possible otherwise. I have a problem with people who do things just for show. People put on a “miserable” demeanor just so others will think they are the “deep, wise, tortured artist who has suffered the cruelities of the world.” As if misery and pain define Wise and Deep! That’s not true at all. And THAT’s what I have a problem with. Expressing pain and suffering does not bother me at all as long as it “comes from the heart” (excuse me for being trite) and is sincere.

As for the “Problem with the world today” cliché, I did not mean that there is something specifically and definitively wrong with our whole culture today. I don’t think that society is getting progressively worse and worse. It’s just that there are some groups/types of people out there that exist today that I don’t agree with and that really DO have falling standards of art and morality. It doesn’t mean everyone, of course. I’m sure that there were problems like that all throughout history, no matter what the time period. Cultures and societies all have their flaws, and it’s not only “we the elite” who can perceive it. Sorry if I came across that way and sounded extremely arrogant and stuck up. Maybe I should have said something like, “The problem with certain/some people today….” to allow less room for misinterpretation and generalization.

Quote:
I think this prejudice against the fantasy genre is ridiculous, esp. when those that give it flack have not exposed themselves, or allowed themselves to be exposed to it fully and with enough sincerity that they give everything else.
Agreed! The most frustrating thing is when people so blatantly insult something when they haven’t even given it a fair chance. Take classical music, for example. I, being a pianist and violinist, am a lover of classical music. It really bothers me when people make comments such as “I hate that drippy classical stuff , it’s so dull and boring and lame, etc etc…”. I hate when people say that NOT because I don’t agree with them, but because they obviously haven’t given themselves a chance to appreiciate it. When someone so carelessly insults an esteemed piece of art/literature/music, etc, they are merely proving how little they know about it. They are making themselves look ignorant and narrow-minded. Don’t misunderstand me here…I don’t have a problem at all with people disagreeing with me…I mean, I wouldn’t get annoyed if people said “I don’t’ like it, it doesn’t’ suit my taste, etc.” But one who says something like “That’s gay and stupid” without having given it a chance is only going to make himself look really dumb.

As for the issue of fantasy being escapist, to that I say, What’s wrong with being escapist? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote