View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
This is my first post on these boards and I have a number of questions.
Welcome.

Quote:
The first of them is we know that the great elven rings, forged by the smiths of Eregion made mortals vanish. The Witch King vanished as did Isildur men of high Nunmenorean descent. What about the Half-Elven though?
The great Elven rings, the Three held by the Elves and the Seven of the Dwarves, did not cause anyone to vanish. There is no support to say that the Nine Rings Sauron gave to Men made them vanish either. They eventually passed into Wraithdom, but that doesn't mean they instantly vanished once they put them on.

Quote:
Would Earendil have vanished before he became immortal? What about Elwing and Dior?
We are only talking about the One Ring here, as that is the only one of the rings that caused anyone to vanish. As far as Earendil or Elwing putting on the One Ring, any answer would simply be conjecture. So your guess is as good as mine. Although I would like to think that Earendil would pass on putting on the One Ring.

Quote:
The Silmarils were supposed to be hallowed against mortal touch, but the Half-Elven (and Beren) could touch and use them. So would they too be able to use the great rings without vanishing.
Nowhere is it said that the Silmarils were hallowed against mortal touch. Why would they be? Mortals weren't even around when Feanor created the Silmarils, and the fact Beren held them without harm nullifies that argument; whereas Morgoth, Maedhros and Maglor all suffered from their touch. It has more to do with the worth and motives of the individual than race or mortality.

Quote:
Then there is Elros, who is Elrond's twin. Elrond could use the great ring without vanishing, so shouldn't his brother likewise be able to do the same thing? Changing the fate of his fea should not have changed the innate power he had, which we would expect to be equal to Elrond's or close enough to it.
Again, the Elven Ring Elrond wore did not confer invisibility.