View Single Post
Old 03-12-2021, 05:06 AM   #412
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I am glad that I did not screw it up. But if I did, just let me know before I re-record. I was going one stanza at a time, and practiced saying it before I sung it. The final chorus (look my dear brother) was by far the hardest, it took me several takes to not majorly mess up - and I think I still screwed up at the very end by turning entuluva into entulava (of all words there, to mess up the one I actually know ). I think, if you were just to give me the Quenya text and tell me to read, I'd say it differently when it comes to stress - I feel that for the two-syllable words (queta, hano, etc), I always wanna put the emphasis on the first syllable. But it helps to know the melody and read accordingly.
I think the only actual mispronunciation I caught was 'fumë' in the first verse, which should be 'foomë'; I think you used (ironically!) the vowel from 'fume'. I can see what you mean about entulu/ava, but it passes as a schwa with no problems.

The stress is probably in completely the wrong place! My vague memory is that Quenya strongly prefers to stress the second syllable from the end, but I've just stuck it wherever works for the song. I do the same in English (a-MIIII-ca-bly), so at least I'm consistent. ^_^

Quote:
Out of curiosity - how much of this are you getting from your own head, as opposed to a very thorough trawl through the Elvish dictionaries? I am still amazed at how you just take the lyrics and go translating into the Tolkien languages like no big deal.
Heh, I confess: I'm pulling the grammar from Ardalambion and the words from Eldamo (which is a fantastic resource and I will be very sad when it someday goes the way of all internet). I actually did the Ardalambion Quenya course back in the day, but mostly what I'm using from that is things like 'dual forms exist' or 'there's a verb specifically for introducing a speech' (equë, parsed as 'thus spake'). I can remember the structure of the language, but the details are coming from the web.

Quote:
I actually wonder, are there different words in Elvish for death when it comes to Elves as opposed to mortals, since the Elves know them to be metaphysically different entities?
There are actually two Q. verbs 'to die': firë and qualë. Firë is also glossed 'breathe forth, fade', so you'd think it would be the Elvish version, but 'fírima' means 'mortal, able to die'. The actual distinction they seem to make is that qualë is connected to pain - ie, it's closer to 'be slain'. So the difference is willing vs unwilling death, I guess? Sindarin may have the same distinction: they have a verb fir-, 'to die', but also a noun 'gurth', 'death', apparently used in violent contexts.

Quote:
Yeeeessss! My absolute favourite thing is all the chuckles and snorts and other noises. Also, "the shove", perfection. Oh, and the "Ooo, your ears are smoking" - caught me by surprise and made me laugh.
It's typical - I've spent months trying to figure out the best monosyllable to start the ears line with, and the best one is the one I come up with literally while singing it.

Quote:
There's no rush. I'm going through a burst of creativity right now, but I also know that it's gonna have to slow down again in a couple weeks, so I'm just trying to catch up to my imaginary schedule while I can. There's absolutely no rush to get everything done at once, we probably have another 9 months ahead to do it.
True... but at some point we're going to do Appeal and Amarie, and then I'll want to do a single video of everything up to the Aria, so I need to have it ready by then. ^_^

Quote:
I like it! Certainly I like the concept, and I like what it looks like now too, but not to temper your experiments with it. And I heartily approve of the font. Speaking of fonts, I think it's a really nice touch to give a nod to the original language. Do you think we'll need tengwar in there too? The font already looks kinda Elvish, it resembles tengwar characters as it is...
Now that's a very good idea. Here's the revised version, which I think I'm happy with (for now!):

I also have a copy with the Tengwar in the Mode of Beleriand (full letters for the vowels), but I don't like it as much. ^_^ This will accompany the title for the individual songs, and in the full video will come after the intro slides, just before Galadriel starts singing.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote