View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Personally, what happens to me quite often, is I vent out my hard feelings toward an upcomming preformance*, and then sit down and enjoy it thoroughly, and after the first wave of positive emotions find faults to criticise and reasons for not declaring it excellent. I know that, regardless of all my rants about PJ and TH movie, I'll be dragging my family to the movie theatre when it comes out, and I would be excited head to toe and think that it's well done. And after a few days I would cool my head and start ranting again about how bad it is.......
This reminds me what probably caused the initial turn from enjoyment to "Jackson's horrible." It seemed that so many were banging on about how awesome the movies were and how Jackson was the greatest director ever. And I just sat, reading, thinking...are you serious? Yes, they're fun films, but....they're not that good. So, I tried finding whatever faults to pick apart the delusion that the films were the greatest movies ever made.

Then I reached a point probably within the last year where I realized, what was I fearing? What about the films, or Jackson, made them into some sort of threat? And I couldn't come up with an answer. The books were popular decades before Jackson ever dreamed of making the movies and the books will continue to be cherished because of their landmark impact on the fantasy genre. No matter what Jackson twists, nor whatever critic tries to say Tolkien's writing is not "modern enough," the books will continue to be read and loved as they have been for over 50 years.

I couldn't figure out how the movies (no matter how different they were) harmed the books in any manner. Why then, get so bent out of shape over them? Tolkien's writing stands on it's own, Jackson can't taint his name or accomplishments. In the end, I saw movies that despite it's many flaws, drew in a young audience to at least pick up the books and give it a try.

Quote:
However, saying that, I will be leaving this opinion at home when I go to watch the first Hobbit movie.

Stupid rollercoaster!
Hehe

Quote:
ETA: just to show how low my expectations have fallen, I actually believed this when I first saw it (and I never really bothered to click the link until much later), even though I thought I was prepared for that day...
Haha, I think what I'm most fretting (or curious how they will handle it)? Since they're doing the White Council scenes, what is Jackson going to do about the Necromancer? If we "see" Dol Guldur in the films, according to Jackson logic, Sauron should be a disembodied eye.

Last edited by Boromir88; 10-21-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote