View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Great Expectations (and rollercoasters)

I was going to reply in the Itaril thread, but then I saw that I think this can be a thread on it's own and it's probably better placed in a new thread. I was writing to respond to G55's post (and I hope you don't mind bringing this quote out, it's just sparked some reflective thought )

Quote:
Do we know what will be in the movies?

The optimists among us say, no, we don't, so let's not ruin our day by wild exaggerative speculation.

The pesimists say, yes, we do, we've seen what happened to LOTR and we can predict what will be in TH, and it's not gonna impress us.
I chuckled when G55 said I was an optimist about the upcoming films, because I thought back to some of the brilliant spars with Essex and SPM over the films where it sounded like I was ready to rip Jackson's head off because of my frustation with his treatment of the story. I wanted to recall them back and ask if they would put me down as an optimist. But looking back at some of those passionate battles with 2 members who could go toe-to-toe with anyone who said a bad thing about the films, I've probably softened a bit.

Then I remembered the car ride with Nog, Agan, Lommy, and Greenie last year. As Agan and I drew metaphorical swords in a passionate debate over the faithfulness and merit of the fims. Only this time, I was on Essex's and SpM's side of the fence (with Nog giving his trademark wily smile, with poor Greenie and Lommy having to be, but being great mediators in keeping car-ride civility).

Anyway, it all got me thinking that first, I'd still disagree, with you G55, that I'm not an optimist with the upcoming Hobbit films. But you got me thinking what do I expect out of Jackson and company with hte upcoming films? Will I be mesmerized and happy, like I was after I watched FOTR in theaters? Or now that I know "Jackson the director," and assume that he will probably make frustrating changes that will make me contemplate mercifully gouging my eyes out to spare them the pain. Will I leave disappointed? Upset?

Then I got to thinking, on my rollercoaster ride of reactions to the movies. First viewing, loved it. After reading and getting more interested in Tolkien, getting frustrated by all the changes that I felt were needless, no matter what Jackson and his team tried to throw out as an explanation. Followed by a fast falling interest in the films period. But concluding with a such a softened opinion, I could actually debate Agan over their good points. And to do so honestly, not merely as a play at devil's advocate. Anyone else find that their reactions, or interest in the films have vacillated over the years?

I still haven't thought of a good title for my roaming and tired rambling mind. Where I'm trying to reach in this thread is try to remember your initial reaction to seeing FOTR in theaters (or whenever you first saw it). What was it, and knowing Jackson as a director now, what do you expect with the 2 upcoming movies? And if your feelings about the LOTR films have been a rollercoaster over the years, ask yourself why? Or, if not, still ask yourself, why? I'll hopefully put this tired head to rest now and be able to come back to answers to my why.