View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 11:01 AM   #15
ainur
Haunting Spirit

ainur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
This transparency and "fading" effect I would put under the heading of "effects of the Ring and its interaction with Frodo and Frodo's response to the challenge," so any connections between the Dark Lord and Frodo would have to be through this intermediary, this part of Sauron that Frodo carries with him physically. Without that, Sauron would still be a far off name, the Necromancer, vaguely feared and never glimpsed but by the trickle-down evil his minions wreak, and Frodo would have no more cares about him than to protect the Shire from him in any way he could.
Lyta, I would agree with this, but for one thing. Don't you think the Ring changed Frodo to the point where some spiritual connection to Sauron would have been there anyway? When he first met Gollum, he felt pity for him, and a connection of some kind. A kinship, if you will. Mightn't there have been something similar for Sauron? Not pity, I mean, but a kinship, an understanding between them beyond any reasonable thought? Certainly, Frodo understood the burden of his addiction to the Ring, and saw it in Gollum. Would he not also have seen it in Sauron, if circumstances would have brought them together?