View Single Post
Old 09-29-2003, 01:13 PM   #85
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Tarannon stood behind his desk, staring out the window.Someone had tried to kill Earnil? Who..Why? What would be the point of it? Earnil was the only heir; if Tarannon were to die with no heir, the kingship would be in chaos. Tarciryan would not have another child, and Beruthiel had already proven herself barren. Beruthiel....who had done this? Could it be the Queen? She would have as much to lose from having no heir as Tarannon and the rest of Gondor would, and she was not a stupid woman; she would have to realise this. But if not Beruthiel, who? He turned from the window and strode toward the door. He would go and talk to Cook in the kitchen. Someone down there poisoned the food, and if anyone would have more definite info, she would. As he exited his office, he nearly tripped over one of the Queen's accursed black cats. How many did she have now? He seemed to see them everywhere these days. He watched it scamper down the hall and around a corner and shook his head in disgust. Such useless beasts; all they did was get in the way.

As he neared the kitchen wing, he encountered scurrying maids and furtive glances. Apparently the news had spread quickly, and everyone seemed to be wary of blame from the King. After attempting to catch eyes for several minutes with no success, he finally had to grab someone's arm and forcibly restrain her from leaving. After ensuring she wouldn't run away, he let go of her arm and looked her in the eyes, making sure to keep his expression mild, as she seemed quite terrified.

Keeping his voice low, he asked her where he could find Cook. Trembling slightly, she pointed into the bowels of the kitchen, to Cook's private office door, which was closed. With a nod of thanks, he let the girl go. He noticed she departed with somewhat undue haste.

He entered Cook's office, to find her standing in the middle of the floor staring at the ceiling, hands at her sides. She seemed to be thinking hard. Her head jerked toward the door when it opened and whatever recrimination she had been about to voice for being interrupted was stopped as she swept into a low curtsey and a murmer of, "Your Majesty, this is unexpected."

Startled that she would think him so callous that he wouldn't investigate his own nephew and heir's attempted assasination, he stared at her, inviting her to continue speaking. After a few moments of awkward silence, she did so.

"I only meant, Gaeradan has just been to see me. I thought you had sent him to investigate the...what happened to Earnil."

"No, I have not spoken to Gaeradan. I heard the news from the boy's guard, who witnessed the dog's death."

She nodded in understanding. "I can only tell you what I told Gaeradan then: I don't know who prepared his luncheon this afternoon, but I shall investigate and find out. When I find the culprit, I will send word to you. Would you like me to inform Gaeradan of my findings as well?"

"No, that will be fine. I will tell Gaeradan myself." He was mildly annoyed at Gaeradan's independant actions in such a grave matter, but this is neither the time nor the person to speak of it to. She nodded and curtsied again, knowing the interview was at an end.

As he made his way back out of the kitchens, he considered what to do next. He ought to visit Tarciryan and Miriel. They would need to know, and if they had already been told, then they might appreciate his concern for the welfare of their son.

He was beset by another of those ill-begotten cats on his way to his brother's apartment and was sorely tempted to kick it as he passed, however, it sidled away too quickly and was gone before he reached it. Ah, well. He would have to do something about the beasts, and soon.

[ October 02, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]