View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 06:14 AM   #30
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Let's move on...

Here we are back at our reading and the Council of Elrond starts. This chapter is literally stuffed with tales of the past and the last questions are answered, so at last, we are at present with no questions about what happened and the only thing we can look forward to is the (grim) future...

This chapter could also be named "Shadows of the Past II", because there's lot of similarities. What is quite nice here is that the new characters are introduced (Gimli just by name, but Legolas and especially Boromir well enough) in a very good manner - in the middle of a dialogue. Boromir is already shown with quite unsettling view on the world and the Ring, speaking for myself (really just for myself, apologies to all hardcore Boromir fans), I don't like him at all: I would say that he behaves like a stubborn prideful fool. However, it can't be denied that he is a very strong character and strangely enough, I am really glad he is there.

The chapter itself presents so much information, even about the past or a very distant past, that sometimes, it will be good not just for chapter-by-chapter, but rather line-by-line discussion. Anyway, we don't have that much time. I am going to point out some things which really caught my eye; and I am not going to elaborate much on them, just make it so that it rings the bell and you may think about it yourselves. I am interested then in reading what you others found interesting, what stands out on you.

So:

It is interesting that we have emissaries from the Elven settlements - Grey Havens, Thranduil's realm, and of course, the home Rivendell. But nobody from Lórien. Why? Lórien seems "outsiderish" or "playing on its own playground" even in the following chapter when sons of Elrond go there and it's all quite mysterious. Are all the "common" elves from Lórien too "barbaric" to be sent here, while the Lord and Lady on the contrary are too much to go to Rivendell? (And risk the Ring's presence at all?)

The tale of the Dwarves, Dáin and the messenger from Mordor (a Ringwraith? Mouth of Sauron? Or simply some "messenger"?) is quite scary, and now we learn more about Balin's sinister fate - what happened to him and his companions? This part of the tale is definitely quite "dark".

Aragorn at least openly says who he is and shows the Narsil. It's one of these last pieces which, as I said, fall into place in this chapter.

Galdor is a very interesting character and I like him; he seems to show remarkable respect for Saruman. I am amusing myself by the idea that he, if he had attended some of the White Council's meetings, may have been one of the strongest "political supporters" of Saruman. However, as we hear later from Saruman himself, he is not giving much value to the Elves anymore.

We learn quite up to detail how Gil-Galad died. Not precisely, but according to Isildur's scroll, his death had something to do with the heat of Sauron's hand. Did he burn the good Elf-lord or something? (That would answer the recently debated question what happened to Aeglos and/or Gil-Galad's body.)

Gollum escaped - what a threat. This brings however the chance and expectation for us who have read Hobbit before, that we may see the creature again. And he turned towards Dol Guldur - well that was not clever. Why, I am sure the servants of Sauron pursued him from the moment he escaped; so why was he even getting closer to the fortress of Sauron? Yes, he was no doubt running away from the Elves, good choice then - but still, he was attempting to run away from both of them (the Appendices are quite silent on this and we know he hides in Moria later, but why, or maybe rather HOW, he got through Southern Mirkwood, remains a question.)

Another thing which brings hope of seeing a real "The Hobbit sequel" here is when Bilbo almost takes the Ring to Mordor himself. That would be surely nice, wouldn't it? However, it's the young ones' turn now.

I really cried aloud "Hooray!" this time when I read that Frodo takes the Ring. What does this say about the nature of the story, having this effect on me even when I read it countless times before?

And last of all, I have to mention my beloved character, Saruman. Gandalf's tale is so interesting, and there are other things - a funny episode with Radagast (or so I take it, although the matter is serious, but Radagast is such a silly tramp ), the remarks about Rohan etc. Saruman has, of course, just fantastic quotes here and for me, he is the coolest character in this chapter!

Well, so that's it, as brief as I could make it, probably. What about you folks? Don't be shy and tell us what you like, dislike, or anything else you find worth mentioning about this chapter.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote