View Single Post
Old 10-19-2004, 10:14 AM   #29
Aldarion Elf-Friend
Animated Skeleton

Aldarion Elf-Friend has just left Hobbiton.
Warning - Moving slightly off-topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
Now Melkor certainly was acting out of malice when he destroyed the Lamps, as when he destroyed the Trees. But when he first broke something - the song of the Ainur - it was out of a desire to create for himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davem
I suppose its a question of intent - why does Saruman want to know what the light is made of, & what makes him think that once he's broken it he can do anything with it?
Let's not forget that the origin of Melkor's problems is in his leaving the light of Eru Illuvitar to seek out the Secret Fire in the outer darkness (I hope I'm remembering my Ainilundale correctly...)

It seems to me that Melkor has been not seeking the source or makeup of the light so much as he is simply jealous of it. When he cannot find the source of the Secret Fire he attempts to destroy creation - a fit or temper tantrum, if you will.

This is followed by his continual attempts, not to fragment, but to destroy the light if he cannot possess it - breaking of the lights, poisoning of the trees, finally stealing the Silmarils and placing them in his crown.

Sorry that this is moving off-topic, but I'm getting caught up in the discussions.

Last edited by Aldarion Elf-Friend; 10-19-2004 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added Davem's quote...
Aldarion Elf-Friend is offline   Reply With Quote