View Single Post
Old 09-26-2004, 01:56 AM   #26
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

*pants*
Here I am, late as usual.

Now that I have read at least the Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales (as I have not when I first read this chapter), I am more amazed of Tolkien's genius. I saw that he did not intend LotR to be a book by itself, but as a continuation of what happened in the previous ages. This chapter presents a seemingly long-expected re-meeting of the Wise, this time including representatives from each race who are in some way connected to the task at hand.

Admittedly, I skipped the part of Gloin's narrative when I first read this chapter. I could not relate to what he was saying, as I haven't read The Hobbit then. But I have now, anyway. *blushes*

I would like start with, in my opinion, the most attention-grabbing character in this chapter: Boromir. He was an important man, and he wanted everyone to know that. But up until this moment, I am wondering why the dream came first, and more times, to his brother Faramir. Was the summons not really meant for him to answer? Should he have stayed in Minas Tirith instead, sending his brother in his place?

Unexpectedly, I felt a surge of annoyance toward him when he was trying to make everyone in the council feel guilty, it seems, of their apathy and lack of gratitude for the deeds his people are doing to stop the advances of the Enemy. Has he even thought of the events in the North? The Dunedain get less gratitude and more scorn and disrespect from the people whom they are trying to protect. I found it so ironic that Aragorn, a man of purer Numenorean blood, would be treated this contemptuously as opposed to Boromir. That is why I wanted to cheer out loud when Bilbo stood up and recited the famous poem he made for the Ranger.

I was touched by Aragorn and Gandalf's dedication in the fight against the Enemy.
Quote:
'There I was at fault,' he said. 'I was lulled by the words of Saruman the Wise; but I should have sought for the truth sooner, and our peril would now be less.'
Gandalf took the blame upon himself, as if the responsibility for the whole of Middle Earth was his! He did not use his involvement in the task to lord it over everyone; instead, he accepted it with humility, contrary to what Saruman did.

As for Aragorn:
Quote:
'Isildur's heir should labor to repair Isildur's fault.'
What modesty! This sentence alone adds to his swoon-worthiness. (I seem to have been counting the points. )

Later into the discussion, we have found that the sole sensible solution to the problem of the Ring was to send it to Mount Doom, in Sauron's realm. I found the irony of this very depressing: this deed would lead to their victory over Sauron, but as the Three are connected to the One, it would also cause the eventual waning of the Elves and their works. Seems to me it's a no-win situation.

In the end, Frodo accepted the dreadful task. I could imagine his fear and nervousness at that time, but being equaled to Hador, Hurin, Turin, and Beren might have given him a boost of confidence. And I do believe he deserves to be seated among them.

Even the most subtle spiders may leave a weak thread, as Gandalf said, and he has told us how deceiving the honest Radagast was the undoing of Saruman's plot. And I believe that in the case of Sauron, the weakness is quite similar. They both failed to win people over into darkness. Sauron has not put in mind the possibility that the Ring would be refused by anyone who finds it. He thought that the Ring-finder would only desire power and dominion, and use the Ring to attain it. Funny this misconception would lead to his downfall...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote