View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 02:52 AM   #377
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The Eye Sorry, Dave, I'm splitting hairs here... because it's fun to do so.

Quote:
1) There's a special tree in LotR & a special tree in the Bible
There are actually two. There is the Tree of the knowledge of good and evil (Genesis) and there is the Tree of Life (Revelation).

Quote:
4) Aragorn had ... a beard, so did Jesus
The Bible doesn’t actually say if he did or not. For all we know, he was bald and clean shaven... Hmmm...

Quote:
6) Both are long books
That depends on how good you are at reading.

Yes, I agree, you can make endless and sometimes obscure observations about similarities between The Lord of the Rings and The Bible. I come, once again to the first post of this thread that suggested that Tolkien stole things from the Bible, which I do not agree with. Perhaps themes and truths inspired him and he put the ones closest to him in his book, and he admits that a writer cannot be wholly unaffected by his experiences. He does admit in the interview I mentioned earlier that God is in The Lord of the Rings and it's history ("The One" obviously). But still, (I really have no idea where I'm going with this) I do agree that some of the more obscure comparisons (Believe it or not, I actually heard someone once say that, because Bilbo sounded a little like Bible that that was strong grounds to say it was a Christian book ) do not offer any help in understanding the full intensions of a writer.

Of course, the length of a book is always an interesting thing. I've noticed (thought it is not always true and there are some notable exceptions) that longer books seem to draw more interpretations because there is so much material to work with. The Bible is a book of history, poetry, prophesy and all that, and people have studied it for years, always finding new interpretations, new ways of looking at verses and so on. The Lord of the Rings is (or, at least, will eventually be, perhaps) heading in a similar direction. Many will look at passages and phrases and draw different conclusions (possibly due to the fact that we're all different... strange that, ) and some will think of new ways of looking at things all the time. Thank goodness for the Downs!

So, what I'm basically saying is... erm... Maybe.