View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 08:00 AM   #369
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I've always considered the Atlantis/Numenor sinking to be tied up with the Noachian worldwide flood.
I'm with you there, at least part way. One may think that Plato, when speaking of Atlantis, really meant Numenor. Or that the sinking of Numenor was, as the facts became blurred over the years and retellings added to the tale, Noah's flood. Surely one can find some comparisons between the two (Noah's flood and the drowning of Numenor) to make a case for a common ancestor (as you say, if we agree to play that game).

Quote:
But maybe the Noachian comes later (if you want to play this game) and may be considered the last worldwide (or major) calamity.
Agreed. You either have a local flood or a global flood that happens after the beginning of the Fourth Age (prior to that, you'd think that the Elves would have recorded such an event, should they have survived it).

Quote:
You don't have to have LotR happening as late as you're suggesting for the whole thing to fit.
I think that we're agreeing here. LotR could have happened prior to Noah's building of the Ark.