View Single Post
Old 01-13-2004, 06:24 PM   #392
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Lyta, how badly do you want to do archery? You can build up surprising strength with a pair of five pound weights (5 each, that is).
Actually, Helen, it is one of those "one of these days" ideas in the back of my head. Right now, I am working on fixing my walking staves and shoeing them with something, and after that, sharpening my off-brand Sting sword (although I believe it is stainless and will take quite a bit of sweat to do!) After that, I plan to tear apart my thrift store Frodo jacket and make another (larger, more comfortable!) sized hobbit jacket in the proper fashion...I've found my 20 pound bow, but it lacks a string. Also got some arrows with really bada$$ points on them! Probably too good for my bow! I had thought to cut one or two of the bent arrows to make my husband a Boromir plus arrows costume, but haven't gotten to it yet (like everything else!). Also, add to the collection one small sized ROTK calendar that hangs incongruously in a large space on the wall! (Yet another Frodo image staring from the right hand wall!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
So, I found a couple at what I think may be good prices, but I've never purchased anything like this before. What do you folks think?
Samwise, I looked at the price on that site, and it is indeed about 40 some dollars cheaper than BudK, the leading mailorder knife company, but it depends on whether you want the licensed one or the knockoff. I've got the knockoff (for $47 on Ebay) and it came with the sheath (the BudK Sting doesn't come with the sheath, and still costs $150 bucks!). I wanted a Sting I could carry with me on my long walks, so I didn't care to have a display model. I've already soaked the scabbard end in a few puddles, but the metal accent there is VERY handy for keeping the rest of it dry! If you're aiming for a display model like the one shown on your link, then the official one is probably a good bet, as it appears to come with a wall mounting thingy. Sometimes, though, you can find the official ones on Ebay for less, so I'd suggest looking around there a bit!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote