View Single Post
Old 05-09-2003, 10:48 AM   #67
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Sam, I LOVE moonflowers and morning glories. Mine will be climbing some ultra-cheap trellises that I bought at the local el-cheapo store: twenty bucks! made in china... Do you think hobbits had trellises? Or did they just let the vines ramble up and over their doorway??

Gorwingel, the skunk cabbage is fourishing over here, all around Bywater. Lots of it.

Birdie: I understand how you feel about trees, I do. But last year in the drought, we lost two pretty young trees that I dearly loved: one was a "pin oak" (NOT your garden-variety oakMonster, this was a lovely and delicate thing) and another was Unknown but lovely, but now dead. I am convinced that if the oaks hadn't been hogging the ground water they would have had more of a chance.

Know what drives me crazy? The two best trees on our lot-- a lovely maple and a towering white pine-- are RIGHT next to each other. Read: If either one was an oak, I would have cut it down to make room for the precious maple or the precious pine. But no-- there they stand, shoulder to shoulder, each cutting into the other's growing terriroty! ARGH!

I was hiking today and went through a beech forest. Mmmmmmmmmmm. No wonder the elves (and TOlkien) loved them. Lovely, lovely, great silver trunks and golden leaves. Mallorns!! It only made me more resolved to treat mine well. Sorry, oak. You're OUTTA THERE.