View Single Post
Old 06-24-2003, 11:22 AM   #33
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Frodides gave another curtsy, joy flooding her heart. She clasped her daughter's hand. "Thank you miss," she said. Hesitating for a moment, she added, "My husband wanted to know if there was any special task you would like him to peform in the stable."

"Yes," said Bethberry. "Tell him to prepare the stalls for the horses of many guests, and give him my message that I hope it won't be too much for him."

A soft smile touch Frodides lips and she gave a little nod of her head. "Yes, miss, but there is no need. My husband can handle that and more." She moved towards the door, slowed by the weight of her daughter still clinging to her skirt. She bent down and spoke a few words to her, but the little girl shook her head vigorously and clung harder. Frodides straightened and turned back to Bethberry. "Would it be all right if my daughter, Mærcwen, came into the stable with me? It appears she doesn't want to stay here alone."

Bethberry nodded. "As long as you make sure she doesn't hurt herself," she said. She gave Mærcwen a warm smile. The girl blushed, but, her face half-hidden by her mother's skirt, shyly smiled back.

Frodides lifted her daughter up and carried her out of the inn. It was much easier than dragging her, and the mother didn't want her daughter to get dirty be dragged along the ground when a party was so close ahead. Mærcwen giggled and put her arms around her mother's neck giving her a kiss on the cheek. Frodides smiled and kissed her back, loving that freckled, smiling face so close to her own. How blessed she was to have such a sweet daughter!

Inside the stable Leofan was cleaning out a stall and talking to Mihtig and the same time. Frodides smiled and let Mærcwen softly to the ground, clasping her hand firmly. She highly doubted that any of the horses currently residing in the stable were ill-tempered, but some of them might be a bit more spookish than Mihtig, and they didn't know little Mærcwen, who would feel perfectly safe crawling under their legs and the like.

Frodides delivered Bethberry's message, and Leofan noddded. "I can handle it all with no worry," he said. "The stable here is a beautiful one, as are the horses."

"Yes," said Frodides. "Now I must go back into the inn and carry out my duties as best I may." And she told Leofan about her new job. He caught her up in his arms and first kissed her, then his daughter, laughing. Frodides laughed along with him. They both knew what this meant. After his wife had left the inn, Mærcwen in her arms, Leofan turned to Mihtig. "Well, do you hear that? Your mother is also working, and now there shall be no chance of either you or Mærcwen going hungry."

Mihtig whinnied his agreement, and then walked to the corner of his stall and slowly began to doze off. Leofan watched him until he was in a light sleep, then resumed with his work. Later he would bring his daughter in to watch him work. He was always able to converse easier with children than adults, and he loved listening to their different interesting, amusing speeches while he tended to the horses. Pausing once more in what he was doing, he spoke softly his hope that the other children in the inn would befriend him as well. Then he continued cleaning the stall.