View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #94
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White
You seem to be a stickler for the tiniest iota of detail so allow me to add a few qualifying words to my original statement....
I'm just trying to say on topic instead of being pulled into a discussion that (it appears) you want to have.

Quote:
Over the years we have seen countless discussions of this type where someone has a particular deep interest or love of one specific aspect of the book and is angry or dissapointed that it was altered for the movie. Here it seems to be Elvish. With others its the hair color of Legolas or Boromir. With others its the lack of facial hair on Denethor. Others claim that Theoden is too young and virile. And on it goes without end. To the vast majority of the six hundred ticket buyers of the films, it did not matter if the hair color of Legolas or Boromir was correct or how long ago Denethor had stopped shaving or if a phrase of Elvish was accurate or had been cobbled together from someones imigination. It matered not to them because the film worked. It worked.
The matter under discussion was not in the context of how important or minor it is to a film's success. You appear to be trying to shift it that way. I'm well aware that a phrase being Elvish or Neo-elvish doesn't really matter to the vast majority concerning the film; however the point I raised by quoting Mr. Hostetter is about fidelity to the tone and feel of Tolkien's work.

And this alone is a worthy enough point to be raised to my mind, despite that one could jump into the thread and claim that no Elvish at all was necessarily 'necessary' in the film for it to make tons of money or win some Hollywood award -- and thus make it seem as if the matter is trivial in a certain context (no matter whether it is 'trivial' or not with respect to other considerations worth discussing).

Quote:
Peter Jackson had no obligation to make his film as accurate as possible or as faithful as possible or as bookish as possible. None at all. Because none of those things matter in the final judgment as to the film working as a film.
Again I'm not sure with whom you are having this discussion. Earlier I wrote...

'My priority would be to successfully adapt the spirit of the source material to film, and create a successful film too.' (and) '... but as I have already stated, a measure of constructed Elvish in the film would not bother me.'

I have not argued that with respect to the Elvish Jackson was under some obligation to be as 'accurate as possible' (staying 'on topic' on the languages, off topic as it may actually be, in this thread).

Last edited by Galin; 03-12-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote