View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
He sees a tower in the distance – no, not that tower (with the EyeBall searchlight), but the Tower of Cirith Ungol. More stairs, not as steep, show the way.
I love this shot. Taken DIRECTLY from the picture between page 752 and 753 of the centenary hardback edition of LOTR.

Quote:
Shelob sneaks up behind the unsuspecting hobbit.
How creepy was that? I still have a little shudder when watching this scene on my LCS with al the lights off in the room.

Quote:
Something approaches. Sam, armed with Sting and the Phial of Galadriel (conveniently each was stuck in the web back in the tunnel, and forgotten by Frodo – what would the poor hobbit sitting back in Rivendell think?) attacks Shelob after spouting off some lines, and the hobbit versus arachnid battle ensues.
And here we have one of the two main reasons movie Sam was sent away by Frodo, much to the nashing of teeth of many a viewer......Our Hero Saves The Day

Quote:
Shelob has had enough and retreats to fight another day.
....and whether she lay long in her lair, nursing her malice and her misery, and in slow years of darkness healed herself from within, rebuilding her clustered eyes, until with hunger like death she spun once more her dreadful snares in the glens of the Mountains of Shadow, this Movie does not tell.....

Quote:
Warning! Orcs approaching! Sam scampers away before they draw close, then he spies on their conversation.
And then maybe movie Sam does not follow Frodo into the West, as he doesn't wear the Ring????

Quote:
Back in Minas Tirith.......I actually like how Denethor releases Pip from his service, casting him outside like so much garbage. Very arrogant and dismissive. And the Appendices show how one actor is thrown down and another (Billy Boyd) pops up perfectly. No CG, just a simple camera trick, and well done.
Totally agree. This was very well done. Almost patronising as well as arrogant too.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote