View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Some brief thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
The close up shots of Shelob’s mouth, to me, aren’t as I would imagine. She seems too clean, too much like an ordinary spider of gigantic proportions.
I had always thought of Shelob as something more than a giant spider - something more demonic - and much of the Tolkien art represents her thusly. But, ultimately, I thought the decision to go with the giant spider representation (apparently, she is based on a funnel-web) was a good one. It makes her more real - and therefore (being an arachnaphobe) - more scary to me. Other than her size, the only difference, anatomically speaking, is the stinger, but that's from the book.

I love the shot of her creepng out, legs first, from the tunnel, as Frodo passes unsuspectingly below. Her movement is exactly that of a real spider - chilling stuff (for me, at least)!

Quote:
Ever notice that when the bad guys are stalking the good guys in movies that the baddie never ever tramps on a branch, or sets a stone a tumbling, or falls within the stalkee’s peripheral vision?
Aw, c'mon. She's an expert hunter. Frodo never stood a chance. Then again ...

Quote:
And even more amazing is that the old spider knows enough and can see well enough underneath her vast bulk to miss that pretty mithril shirt.
There's a thread on that somewhere - with a photo of a shirtless Frodo when Sam comes across in the Tower (oops, spoiler ) and much discussion of whether a particular scar was the entry point for the stinger and why the mithril coat didn't stop it.

Quote:
Something approaches. Sam, armed with Sting and the Phial of Galadriel (conveniently each was stuck in the web back in the tunnel, and forgotten by Frodo – what would the poor hobbit sitting back in Rivendell think?) attacks Shelob after spouting off some lines, and the hobbit versus arachnid battle ensues.
Is it just me, or did Sam's line put anyone else in mind of Ripley confronting the Alien Queen at the end of Alien 2: "Get away from her, you b____", or something like that?

Quote:
Frodo looks like a zombie ...
More like Michael Jackson. That spider venom sure does wonders in cleaning away facial grime.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote