View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 02:50 PM   #45
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
I am not sure about Melkor's greatest gift being his capacity to learn (well, he could have it, but he forgot about it ); he gave less heed to the information Eru gave about the Eruhini than even Sauron ; he also failed to see that he can't fight against Eru, even after he is so warned by Eru himself. Oh well - at least His words assure us that even Melkor _will_ see he was only a tool for greater beauty.
Well, having a great capacity for learning doesn't necesarily mean you will learn the right things...so speaks one who wasted much of her youthful capacity for learning by having her nose stuck inside Tolkien books! I think Melkor possibly thought he was so clever he could find a way round Eru's rules. Yet again this reminds me of Saruman, who believed that superior learning and gathering of ring lore would be the best way to achieve the goal he had been set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
Interestingly enough, one's unwill may not always work as expected, as we see in the case of Saruman with the palantir:
Do you think his arrogance was responsible for this? That he believed he had control and so could outwit Sauron? Or was it something else? One mind cannot 'see' into another if they are using 'unwill', supposedly only Eru can do this. So did Sauron use language with Saruman? Or did he trick him?