View Single Post
Old 04-21-2003, 08:15 PM   #252
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've heard both the BBC and the Robert Inglis CDs and I must say I prefer the BBC tunes more. Of course that's obviously because I've been listening to the BBC versions many years now and I only recently heard the RI versions. For Upon The Hearth I just took the beginning tune and applied it to the rest of the song.

Another thing I find fun to do as I'm walking is sing Irish songs (of course not now, when I have a cough). The Rocky Road to Dublin is one, and then others that aren't really walking songs, like Danny Boy and Red is the Rose. Then there is translating them into Elvish and singing them that way, though the tune doesn't always work as well then.

Recently I've just been singing any hobbit walking song that comes into my head: all of them original, as well. I usually end up repeating the same thing due to not thinking about what I'm singing, but it doesn't matter, really.

Perhaps I could gather up a collection of lyrics to good walking songs, whether LotR or not, and put them on a webpage? LotR songs, definitely, though that would be quite unnecessary, seeing as we all probably own the books; a few Irish songs, mostly walking songs; and compose a few of my own, and other walkers could as well, if they'd be willing. For newly created songs we could just apply whatever tune we liked, unless someone were thorough enough to give a tune, as well. And not just LotR, Irish, and original songs. Does anyone have any favorite walking songs, or even non-walking songs that they enjoy singing while walking?

Snowing a blizzard here with a great big fog, making it near impossible to go walking without getting hopelessly lost in the woods. I don't dare risk it.