View Single Post
Old 07-05-2023, 06:40 AM   #4066
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
I stood near the river
For centuries I watched
Time unfolds
Many things I took for granted

The black one brought ruin
To me and those around me
The river turned red with blood
And I watched it all come to be.

To anyone who still might be around: This riddle is trickier than you'd think.
Hmm. There can't be that many battles or massacres near rivers (which would be needed for one to turn red with blood). Let's see if we can narrow it down.

"The black one" could be Morgoth, Sauron, or Turin. It couldn't be Saruman, so the Battle of Bywater is out. I don't think we can blame Morgoth for the Kinslayings, so anything to do with Doriath is out too.

"For centuries I watched" means it's either an inanimate object, or an immortal; it also can't be anything built (or anyone born) in the First Age after about 200, because "for centuries".

Hmm... the repetition of "watched" has me wondering: are you the Palantir of Osgiliath? I think you need to be in an established location to get "those around me", so something like the battle of Gladden Fields is out. Osgiliath stands directly over the river, and the Palantir did do a lot of watching.

hS