View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 09:30 AM   #295
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks, Pio. That was most helpful.

Given the type of terrain around Armenelos, and the nature of the rescuing party, it seems to me that some things need to be considered before the approach to the city is written.

1. There is no cover to speak of, with low, grassy hills being the major feature, for do doubt a good two dozen miles in every direction.

2. The mountain, then the temple, respectivley, appear to dominate the scene.

3. The place will be crawling with King's men.

4. The Kariborim will stick out like seven sore thumbs.

All this taken into account, it seems to me that the rescuing party will have to go under cover of assumed identities, as did Frodo as Mr. Underhill. The horses cannot go into Armenelos, unless they are noised as "spoils of looting" the Faithful.

If the party goes in acting like bad guys with Kariborim as spoils, they could well be forced into many an awkward situation, and rest assured this player will write them into the story!

If, on the other hand, the part agrees to split in two, a couple remaining with the Kariborim in secret, while a chosen group sneaks into the city, an entirely different set of risks present themselves: what if they are found out? some captured?

So, this needs to be discussed by the rescue party members, I think. Any other options you can think of should come up in such a discussion as well.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-14-2005 at 09:47 AM.