View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninde Lossehelin View Post
Sam will always be known as Frodo's *helper* (forgive me for the term) but also as a hero in the trilogy.
As Frodo said "Frodo wouldn't have gotten far without Sam" so he acknowledges the importance of Sam.

Sam's loyalty has everything to do with Gandalf's order to him to never leave Frodo. And also with Sam's respect for Frodo..

But i can see the 'servant-like' acts by how he carries everything calls Frodo Mr. Frodo but the relationship between the two is the highest form of friendship and can never be a Servant-Master relationship.
Agreed. Also I don't think "dog-like" is an insult. Depends how the word is used. Frodo's dog like determination is same as Sam's, in many ways. The only difference is Sam is loyal to one person while Frodo is to the world. Reverse the roles-- Sam's the Ring-bearer, Frodo his helper. Sam understands his duty and does it with a dog like determination. Is that bad? Hell no. Frodo helps Sam thinking he can't bear the burden that Sam is carrying, but he wants to save his friend and his home; he'd do this service with a dog-like determination. That ain't bad either.
Frodo and Sam's relationship, imo, is the most beautiful thing in the book(also in the movies), it doesn't reflect a master-servant relationship, rather, it's more like brotherly, a parent-child relationship.