View Single Post
Old 02-04-2003, 05:54 PM   #423
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Amaranthas’ home was as snug and cozy as the outside led one to believe. The cupboards were well stocked with all kinds of goodies, as Laurie soon found out, and she greatly enjoyed the warm tea Pio had been kind enough to pour for her.

Laurie’s eyebrows raised slightly when Amaranthas pronounced her “fey” and at
Pio’s bidding, she tried to form a reply to the old hobbit’s portrayal. She reached for
a seedcake dripping with sweet jam and chewed thoughtfully before speaking.

“I have certainly never thought of myself in those terms, but I suppose it could be applied… I have often been scolded for being too impetuous, and leaving my home so sudden has been called foolish by many. But fey…” Laurie’s voice trailed off as she sat, brow furrowed in thought and her normally sparkling blue eyes were concentrated within. After a moment she looked up again, her blue eyes seeming more placid and she spoke with a small smile.

“At any rate, you did miss the mark earlier. My mother did not raise me, she died at my birth. I was raised by my father and brothers. There was never a dull moment
in our home,” she added with a reminiscent laugh and raised her cup to sip the warm tea. “No,” Laurie added, serious once more. “I do not think I have yet become fey, though perhaps you see something in me that I cannot, or some event that has not yet come to pass, as wise old women are sometimes wont to do.” Laurie contemplated the wrinkled face with its biting black eyes, now was now able to see a softness underneath that she had previously missed.