View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Wasn't it the Bragollach?
Yes it was, which does slightly undermine some of my arguments. D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post

But here, judging at least from your first paragraph in the quote, do you think that the Christian part is really present to such extent in Fingolfin's challenge? Do you really think his lack of faith was a failure? I think that the northern spirit far outrules the Christian aspect in this scenario. I don't think Fingolfin's act or mood was failure, nor do I think that there is any hint of condemnation of them in the story that would make the reader think that way.
I was responding to the only criticism I could imagine being levelled against Fingolfin, which was that his leadership was badly needed, whether victory could be achieved or not. Yes, this is pure Viking heroism, and Tolkien's point is all about the damage done to Morgoth by this one Elf acting alone. The point about the tension between Catholic and pagan elements and parallel with Denethor occurred to me in the moment, but it nevertheless remains true that there is hope for the Eldar in their struggle against Morgoth: it lies in an unconsidered direction, enabling Tolkien to preserve the ultimate defeat of Morgoth while showing characters acting in the extremes of despair and hopelessness under his apparently permanent victory. I suppose it's possible that somebody thought he was foolish simply because he died, but that attitude says more about those who hold it than it does about Tolkien's characters.