View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #34
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Let's not forget the few women who are named as minor characters in LotR; my favourite is Ioreth! She may be talkative and seem silly to outsiders, but there is genuine wisdom in her words and a good sense for practical action. Besides, she is one of the characters Tolkien uses as comic relief - much preferable in my opinion to making his primary dwarf belch and get drunk! I think the passages in "The Houses of Healing" are hilarious, though I grant they are subtle (something PJ is not in his filmed version - which explains why he neglected to introduce such an admirable and humorous character!).

Besides, Ioreth plays a vital part in the validation of Aragorn's kingship and his acceptance by the people of the city. How else would they have heard of his healing exploits - from that learned but impractical (and unnamed!) herb-master?!

And I agree with Lal that the Gaffer is highly interesting - even if most of what we hear from him is only second hand, by means of his son quoting his versions or proverbs! Whenever he opens his mouth, something that makes me smile or chuckle comes out.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 01-03-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote