View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #492
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden was roused from his stupor. His authority returned to him, along with his senses. “Come,” he said, touching those nearest him. “Leave him to Æđel and Saeryn.” He cleared the room of all but the women folk who would stay and help. Saeryn remained by Eodwine’s bedside, clinging to his hand.

Once out, he roused Léof and Javan from their beds. “Hitch up the smoothest wain to your fastest horses, Léof. Javan will help you.”

Léof wanted to ask questions, but he was too obedient to even open his mouth. Javan, on the other hand, felt no scruples about questioning his brother. “In the middle of the night, Thornden? What’s the matter?” The boys both looked at him. In the light of the lantern, their dark eyes glimmered as they waited expectantly for an answer. Thornden placed a hand on each of their shoulders.

“Lord Eodwine is very ill, and he must be taken to Edoras. Æđel can do no more for him, and he must be taken as quickly as possible. So, go. The rest of us will prepare what will be needed for the journey. You go and get the wagon.”

Javan was struck rooted to his place. “Lord Eodwine...” he murmured. Léof grabbed his hand and pulled him away.

The next half hour was filled with nervous activity for the entire household. The cooks prepared as much food as they could for the journey. They did not know how long it would take to get to Edoras, nor did they know if Eodwine would wake to eat at all. They also heated bricks and potatoes in the fire to wrap in blankets and so pack around Eodwine to keep him warm on the journey, at least for a while.

The rest of the household busied themselves with either preparing the wain for their eorl, or helping those to go get ready. Æđel had agreed to go, but she could not prepare for herself, she was with Eodwine, so Modtryth packed what she needed for her. Garstan asked if he could accompany them, but Thornden denied permission, as Garstan would be needed for the continuation of the work on the Hall as soon as the landholders had left, and they did not know how long those who went to Edoras would be gone. Balvir and Wilcred would go with him.

Thornden came to the door as he heard the wagon rumble up before it. He found Saeryn standing just outside, a shawl wrapped tightly about her shoulders, vainly attempting to keep out the biting cold. Her neck and head rose uncaring above the wool folds of her wrap, and wisps of her hair touched her pale skin gently as they moved in the wind.

“Lady Saeryn,” Thornden said. “You should not be out here.”

“I want to go with him,” she stated quietly. “I am his wife, and I want to stay with him.”

Thornden looked at her, saying nothing for a moment. Then he unclasped his heavy cloak and wrapped it about her shoulders. Her cold fingertips grasped the edges and clutched it into place about her throat.

“I will not stop you, lady,” he said. “But I will ask you, please stay. Tomorrow the men from surrounding lands are coming, and we must carry out Eodwine’s plans. They cannot be changed or postponed now. I do not. . .I can not do it myself.” Saeryn looked up at him. He met her eyes, swallowed his pride, and said again, “Please stay.”

Was Thornden actually afraid? Saeryn eye’s searched his face. He had every right to be. The responsibilities of Eorl were falling swiftly and unexpectedly on his shoulders, and at a crucial time when things had to be done. She knew he could carry out his duties well, but Thornden was not as certain. He was young, after all. She, and others, tended to forget that during their everyday contact with his firm and steady handling of matters.

“Of course you must go,” Thornden said, breaking the long pause and looking away. “You are his wife, after all, and you should be with him.”

“No, Thornden,” she said. “He would have me stay. It is as much my duty as yours to stay behind and look after the people. I am, after all, the Lady of Scarburg now. I will see that everything is run as he would have it run. You will meet the landlords and conduct the meeting that Eodwine had planned, and I will back you in whatever decisions you come to. Here, take back your cloak. I will go to him now.”

Last edited by Folwren; 10-12-2009 at 07:15 AM.