View Single Post
Old 03-11-2004, 03:24 PM   #31
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Harold Chubb:

With a wide grin on his face, Harold strutted towards the cart to rejoin his family for lunch. He hoped that they had not devoured all of the food, for his stomach growled louder than the noise his father made when he was irritated. Protectively, Harold cradled a small satchel in his arms, a gift for Sarah. Several copper pennies jingled in his pocket, a pleasant sound unfamiliar to his ears.

Harold was very pleased with the business he had just conducted. Few of the Fallohide families had brought cows or chickens with them, and therefore had no milk or eggs. He had sold a dozen eggs to a family of Fallohides who wanted to make a gigantic omelet. He hoped this would help Sarah forgive him for making her sit next to the chickens on the cart and endure their endless clucking.

Even more happily, Harold had enjoyed the good fortune to make an agreement with one of the Tooks to provide milk for the Hobbit’s children for the remainder of the trip. In exchange for this, the wealthy family gave Harold a simple bronze neck band with an azure topaz hanging on the end. It was nothing special to them, but Harold had never before owned such a beautiful thing. It would make a perfect gift for his dear wife Sarah. Sweet Buttercup, you are the best cow a Hobbit could ask for, Harold planted a kiss on Buttercup’s wet nose.

Back in Bree, there had been nothing left over to sell, since any extra crops or milk or eggs automatically went to the Whitfoots to pay for the land which the family farmed. On the trail, he was strangely free, since he no longer had to pay for land. The Whitfoots actually had less of a claim on him. Given this set of circumstances, it seemed prudent to Harold to make some money from his little business before he had to start forking everything over to the Whitfoots again. If he had to go on this worthless trip, he might as well figure out a way to turn a thing or two to his advantage.

Although Harold loved his wife dearly, he still had some doubts as to the wisdom of this particular agreement. Yes a piece of jewelry, even one so simple, would hopefully make his wife happy, but it did not serve any practical purpose. The family had offered him some fine farming tools, but he declined, favoring a gift for his darling Sarah. I could have used the new equipment, thought Harold, but my wife is more precious than all the riches of Middle-Earth. I am sure that she will enjoy the necklace, and her happiness is the greatest gift of all.

Harold reached the wagon and found his daughter, wife, and father already there waiting for him to arrive. Fordogrim and Sarah looked at him inquisitively, as if they were wondering where he had been. May had just asked for food and Sarah was doling out a generous portion.

Harold nodded first to Fordogrim, “Dad I think that what you did was brave, if a bit brash. I do not think that I could have asked Marcho to stop for a break like you did, but I am proud of your courage. "

Then, he turned around to the others. "Family, I have a surprise for all of you. I have been involved in some small business dealings, and, as a result, I have some gifts for you." He smiled at his daughter. "May, here are a few copper pennies---split them with your brother. My lovely wife, Sarah, I hope that you enjoy this gift; it isn’t much but it is the best I could do under the circumstances.” Harold unwrapped the small package and held out the necklace so Sarah could see it. He lifted the necklace over her head and put it around her neck.

A smile spread over his face as he turned to look at his wife, "You are as lovely as the day we met! I've long wanted to get you a necklace and at last I have.....as simple as it is."

Meanwhile, he thought to himself, Sarah and May are as beautiful as any of the Fallohide lasses, yet families like the Whitfoots hog all the fancy jewels and frocks for their wives and daughters. I am considered lucky if I can only earn enough to fill our family's stomachs. Would that things could somehow change! Still, his wife looked beautiful and at that moment, Harold wouldn't have traded that necklace for all the farm equipment in Bree.

The family took their lunches and sat down under a tree, as Sarah spread out a small cloth on the ground.

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 03-12-2004 at 12:01 AM.