View Single Post
Old 10-05-2003, 02:12 PM   #238
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

Alethea sprawled out on her bed. Her head ached and she wasn’t sure she could face going to the ball tonight, but she would have to and anyway she had to go, as Eckthelion would be there. And it would be the best time to tell him. And betray her blood said the voice in her head.

“No,” she whispered. It was a battle; but she knew it was the right thing to do. Even if she did ever feel some love for her sister and mother, they were evil and they had to be stopped. Alethea was the only one who knew all. She pulled herself off the bed as she heard the voice of Meirelle.

“Alethea!” She called knocking at the door.

“Come in,” Alethea replied. The door clicked open, Meirelle entered and shut it behind her.

“Do you need any help to get ready?” She said setting down the dress she held in her hands on the chair closest to her bed.

“Yes, if you will.” Alethea replied walking towards her. She placed her hands on Meirelle’s shoulders and looked her in the eyes. “Thank you.” She said faintly.

“For what?” Meirelle laughed nervously.

“For getting the letter to Adrama, and for not telling anyone about it. You didn’t, did you?” Meirelle shook her head and Alethea smiled. She would miss her. No doubt whatever happened their servants would either flee or taken to be punished. Alethea didn’t want Meirelle to receive any punishment; but she did not want to loose her also. She had been the closest friend she had had when she was younger.

Which was a poignant thought for her; but it was all she knew. Alethea washed and donned the dress Meirelle had brought in with her. It had been purchased especially for the occasion and was a deep silky crimson. The corset fitted snugly around her torso, and was tied tightly with a red matching ribbon at the back.

The front was covered in bursts of rubies and the skirt was a plain crimson silk, but it was layered thickly. On her feet she was delicate matching slippers. Alethea sat down at her dressing table and stared into the mirror as Meirelle did her hair. The girl laced red gems in and out of her hair and brushed it while Alethea swept her eyes with a crimson powder and placed red gems in the corners of her eyes. Her eyes were glazed and filled with tears but she fought them back and reassured herself that she was doing the right thing.

She thanked Meirelle and the two made their way down to the main entrance where Dryea waited. As Alethea walked down the stairs her sister gave her a smile. Alethea did not know why but it annoyed her. How could she smile at her? It made what Alethea was about to do even more unbearable. She nodded back, but wore no emotion of happiness. Their mother was not to join them tonight; but instead remained in her study.

A few brief words were shared between the three before they left; they were mostly of their behaviour but all through it Alethea could not bring herself to look at the two. Whether it was because of guilt or sheer hate she could not gather. The two left in silence and they did not talk on the way there. Alethea was glad of this, for she could barley face Dryea. Their carriage arrived promptly and the two entered the ball without a word to each other.

Alethea turned and saw the back of Dryea as she walked off. She stared for a moment until she felt a tug at her hand.

“Adrama!” She exclaimed turning to her friend.

“Alethea,” she smiled back, “the steward is over there.” She said pointing.

“I know…” Alethea replied looking at the Steward for a few moments.

“You are not having second thoughts are you?” Whispered Adrama.

Alethea shook her head; but the truth was she was having second thoughts. Could she really betray her mother and sister and all that they stood for?

“You must tell him,” Adrama said exasperatedly now looking towards the Steward also, “It is the right thing to do.”

Alethea nodded, “I will go, alone. I hope you do not…” Alethea said turning to Adrama. She shook her head and with and assuring look Alethea made her way to Eckthelion.

“My lord?” She said when reaching him. She curtsied and waited for his reply.

“Yes?” He said turning to Alethea, as he saw whom it was his eyes widened.

“May I speak to you?” Alethea glanced around, “In private if you will allow it?”

“Yes, yes of course.” The two left and entered the gardens surrounding the Stewards estate. As they walked the cold chilling wind blew through Alethea’s hair and a lost tear fell down her cheek.

“Well what is it that you whish to say?” asked the Steward, while looking up to the sky.

Alethea paused and then began, “You know of the spy?” He nodded, “The spy is my family.” She said blankly.

“I know.”

“You do?”

“Yes, I was brought news of it. Someone had heard an argument between yourself and your sister. That is how I know.”

“But you do not know it all!” She exclaimed, maybe he would make an incorrect judgement and condemn her. But was that not the right thing to do? After all if she had always been against the why had she not come forth before that? Before she knew it Alethea had launched herself to tell the Steward all she knew of her family’s plans.

“…but you must understand. I know I am not totally innocent; but I hate hat they are doing, and I always I have I was just too stupid to come forth before. Please can you forgive me? I am not asking you to pardon me from punishment, but I….” Alethea broke of, stray tears fell down her cheek and she looked up at the Steward.

He stopped walking and placed a hand on her shoulder, “Alethea, you were right to come to me. At least you did not hide. Because of this you will be granted safety here. Everyone shall know that you have done no wrong.”

“Thank you,” she managed to whisper into the frozen night.

[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]