View Single Post
Old 09-29-2003, 12:45 PM   #227
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

As Athadan ran past the ladies, Adrama, who had been standing in his path, explaining Addruran's conduct to her new friends, was shoved aside and knocked over. Elen was quicker than Adrama's fall, though, and caught her as she fell. Adrama stood up straight and murmured some words of thanks. From the door of their house the guards from inside were running out. Addruran jumped out the window, taking the same path as Athadan. He did not pause as he passed the ladies, but they heard him say as he passed, "I apologize about the rude exit."

Vieana couldn't resist a smile at that, and she turned to Adrama, saying, "All your words couldn't explain that he was acting before as well as that one sentence." But then her smile faded as she saw Adrama's face. It was deathly pale, and if it hadn't been for Elen, whose hands were still on Adrama's arms, the girl would have fallen. "Adrama, what's wrong?" Vieana asked, concern on her face and in her voice.

Adrama spoke without any emotion, staring off into the distance as if she were far away. "The spy was armed," she said.

Lady Averyll immediately saw what was wrong. Taking Adrama's hand, she clasped it warmly and reassuringly. "Don't worry, Adrama. Addruran will be all right. He's brave and he has a lot of sense."

Adrama looked as though she hadn't heard. Elen gave the other two ladies a look, and they led the girl inside.

Addruran raced after Athadan, taking careful note that the latter had a sword and would be obliged to use it. He knew that the spy didn't stand a chance of escaping. Due to the careful planning, the house was completely surrounded by Minas Tirith guards, and it was only a matter of them closing in. But what Athadan would do when he saw he was trapped, Addruran did not know. It would be dangerous. And he was armed only with a small dagger, for at the unexpected and crazy escape of the spy, he had had no time to retrieve his weapon.

"Close in!" he called, waving his hand. Gesturing to the guards behind him, he had them form the back of the circle. Athadan stopped his mad run when he saw the guards emerging from their hiding places in front of him, and turned slowly in a circle. A cornered animal is dangerous, but a cornered man can be just as dangerous. Addruran was now within a few feet of Athadan, and he did not see the latter's hand grip his sword tighter.

Addruran paused where he was, taking in the matter with careful consideration, while keeping Athadan within his vision. However, he was not expecting the spy to suddenly rush at him, and though he sprang back, the sword of the enemy grazed his arm. His dodge had caused him to lose his balance, and he fell backwards to the ground. Two of the guards in the circle had already broken forward and were running towards Athadan. The spy attempted to stab Addruran through where he lay, but the young man rolled aside and then dived forward, catching Athadan around the knees and bringing him to the ground. Then, jumping up, he kicked the sword from him and stood back as the guards took the matter into their own hands. "Thank you," Addruran said with a little nod to the guards who had rescued him. "We should take him to Ecthelion now."

"But, sir, you're wounded. You should go back to the house."

Addruran looked at his arm and shook his head. "No, I'll go with you," he said. "It isn't a bad wound. Fortunately I had the time to jump back, otherwise I could be dead. But this won't keep me from going to Ecthelion."

"Yes, it will," Sador, who had come up behind them, said in a firm voice. "It may not be bad at the present, but if you just let it bleed things will get worse." He saw an annoyed expression come onto Addruran's face, and he smiled. "Besides, I think you'll find Adrama is anxiously waiting for you."

Addruran's eyes lit up. "Ah yes, I forgot that I had something to ask her about."

Sador grinned and, taking Addruran's arm, led him back to the house. When they entered the parlor, Adrama sprang up from her chair with a cry and stepped forward. "Oh, Addruran, you're safe," she said. "But, what's this?" She stared at his arm. "Athadan hit you?" She looked at him inquiringly.

"No, I tripped on a stone and fell on a sword lying on the ground," he replied with a faint smile. Realizing how foolish her question had been, she smiled back and led him over to the couch. She sat back on a chair opposite him, gazing at the wound. "I don't know how bad it is," she said with a helpless sigh. "So I don't know what to do."

"It isn't bad," Vieana said, advancing forward. "As long as we do something about it and he doesn't lose too much blood, he'll be perfectly all right."

"But I don't know what to do."

Vieana smiled slyly. "I'll see if I can help," she said, a prompting tone in her voice. Adrama stared at her for a few minutes, then a wide smile came to her voice. "I came here to study medicine and I might not be an 'expert' yet," Vieana said, "but I think I can handle this little scratch well enough. It seems like anyone should," she added with a glance at Adrama. "I suppose you've never seen anyone wounded before, since you seem so helpless."

"Well, I suppose I've seen people wounded," Adrama replied. "But I've never had to do anything about it."

So Vieana tended to Addruran's wound while he related to everyone present in the room, who had not seen the capture of Athadan, what had happened. Adrama was moved by his bravery but couldn't help chiding him for putting himself in such danger. After all, she told him, if the guards were closing in on Athadan there was no need for Addruran to run right up to him.

When had had finished telling the story, he turned a deep shade of red and averted his eyes from Adrama's face. "Adrama... If I may, would you allow me to talk to you later after the guests leave?" he asked. "I have something important to... tell you."

"Ask, not tell," Sador grumbled to himself, and left the room.