View Single Post
Old 09-24-2003, 03:56 PM   #222
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Alak's post:

Pelien sat motionless in her high-backed chair listening to the sound of the guards in the next room with her husband. When she watched them filing through the door just moments before, the reality and significance of what was happening in her own home left her in an almost dazed state. Thankfully, Adrama had taken the young ladies into another room, so she didn’t have to hide her nervousness. For the first time, Pelien thoroughly contemplated the possibilities of who the spy might be and what would happen if and when he was caught. What if we can’t catch him? I will be a disgrace in the Steward’s eyes. Her long fingers squeezed the arms of the chair until her knuckles were white. She’d never considered what would happen if they were unsuccessful this afternoon, or what if…What if he lashes out violently? If violence occurred she hoped that Sador would stay out of it. Even though she knew he was a fully capable and respectable soldier, he was her love and she didn’t want him in any danger. Pelien let the air she had been unconsciously holding slowly escape through her lips.

Sador and Addruran returned from the garden and while Pelien’s husband paused next to his wife, Addruran, who looked almost giddy to Pelien, instinctively went in search of Adrama. With one eyebrow raised, Pelien looked up at her husband, but Sador’s only reply was a warm, handsome smile and the gentle squeeze of his hand on her shoulder. As soon as Sador offered his hand to help Pelien up from the chair, Rummel appeared in the doorway announcing that the remainder of the guests was currently coming up the walkway. Pelien inhaled deeply and grasped Sador’s still-outstretched hand. Nodding at one another with the same look of encouragement, Sador and Pelien entered the foyer to greet their guests.

Three young men in full uniform crossed the threshold taking their hats off as they entered. Their faces automatically lifted as their eyes wandered over the décor of Sador and Pelien’s home.

“Welcome to our home, Gentlemen. I’m so glad you were able to join us this afternoon.” Pelien stood proud and tall as she smiled amiably at the young men. Adrama, who must have heard her mother’s voice, led the ladies from Dol Amroth into the foyer to meet their companions for the afternoon. “Oh, good, Ladies, I would like you to meet Brigon, Athadan, and Aranarth.” The guards each nodded respectfully as his name was spoken, and the young ladies smiled charmingly batting their eyelashes. “Here we have the Ladies Averyll, Elen, and Vieana.” Each of the ladies offered her hand, and the young men seemed eager to take them. “Sador, would you mind showing the men to the cloak room, so they can lay down their cloaks and weapons?”

“Of course I don't mind, Dear.” Pelien watched as her husband led the guards around the corner to the cloak room. As soon as they were out of sight, she threw Addruran a questioning glance. He nodded answering her without words…the trap had been set.

In just a moment the men returned. “Now let us proceed to the dining room where we may speak more comfortably.” Pelien smiled the gracious smile of an experienced hostess, and after taking her husband’s arm, she led them to the dining table that was lavishly set for the luncheon. The mannerly men remained standing until the women were seated, and Rummel and her sister immediately began pouring wine for all the guests.

Nurumaiel's post:

Addruran had remained fairly silent up till the arrival of the other men, but when they arrived it was clear to Adrama that he was preparing himself to tell them about the papers in some way or another. She decided to help him a little. Standing, she gave a graceful curtsey to the men and said, "Good day, sirs. Please, do sit down. You haven't missed much talk, and the luncheon has not, naturally, begun without you." Sitting down, she smiled at Addruran. "We were just talking about Addruran's new position in Ecthelion's court."
Addruran felt relief come surging over him. Adrama had solved the problem as to how to start speaking about the important papers. Putting a smug look on his face, he nodded.

Brigon grinned rather hesitantly at Addruran. "This is new to me," he said. "What happened that gained you this new position?"

"I am in charge of delivering an important message from Ecthelion," Addruran replied. "I don't have it with me to show you; it's near the door on top of my cloak. But I remember what it says perfectly. It is an order to attack the corsairs, to say it shortly."

"Are you sure Ecthelion won't mind you telling this to us?" Athadan asked.

Addruran, in an attitude of extreme carelessness, said lightly, "Oh, he won't mind."

Adrama choked on a biscuit she had taken from a plate while no one was looking, and Pelien looked at her sternly, reprimanding her for taking the biscuit before they'd begun to eat and threatening to give the plan away at the same time. While Pelien wasn't looking, Adrama stretched out to put the biscuit back, but it slipped from her hand and rolled under the feet of Athadan. She paused for a few moments, then looked up, to find with a shock that Vieana was looking at her. But the lady of Dol Amroth smiled reassuringly at her, and Adrama decided then and there that she would be fast friends with the three ladies from that moment onward.

"-very important, yes," Addruran was saying. "If they should fall into the wrong hands, Ecthelion would surely behead me. However, I know I can trust all of you. That is why I tell you all this. If I thought any of you might be willing to sell that note for much money, or even be a spy for the corsairs, I would not tell you."

"It's very flattering that you put so much trust in us, Addruran," Aranarth said sincerely. "I hope all of us shall live up to your expectations, and I believe that none of us will disappoint you. But all the same, are you sure it is wise to tell everyone this?"

While Addruran made a very weak reply, Adrama crossed Aranarth off her list of suspects. He had really meant what he had just said, and he couldn't be the spy. Of course, if he were as good an actor as he were a spy, things could be different. Brigon had acted a little nervous when he had heard of Addruran's new position, but that was foolishness. He couldn't have known that 'new position' was the result of an 'attack on the corsairs.' Please let the spy be found out soon, Adrama thought. And don't let be Addruran be hurt when they're surrounding him. Please, don't let Addruran be hurt. She had suddenly realized how dangerous it was for Addruran to be hunting this spy. If the latter was armed, Addruran could be hurt. He was very brave...

Something flickered inside of her, but she drove it away. That was foolishness, and it couldn't be true.

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]