View Single Post
Old 09-21-2003, 11:00 AM   #218
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Addruran did not follow Sador immediately. Taking off his cloak, he put it on a table by the door, and, hiding a grin, pulled the scroll from his belt and placed it on top of the cloak. After making sure it was completely visible, he turned to Adrama's father, but not to follow him. "Sir, I have something that I need to ask you," he said, blushing deeply. "It will only take a moment. I realize the ladies are waiting, but I can't say this in front of them, especially where Adrama might hear."

Sador gave him a kind, fatherly look and, already guessing what the young man wanted to say, dropped his hand from the handle of the door and gestured towards a chair. Addruran shook his head. "No, it won't take that long," he said. Leaning against the wall to steady himself, he looked Sador straight in the eye and spoke clearly. "Sador, I am asking permission to marry your daughter, if she'll have me."

The question was not unexpected. Sador showed no hesitation at all. "You have my permission, and I'm glad," he said, and smiled when he saw Addruran's tenseness ebb away to be replaced by weak relief. "I know Adrama has long been in love with Denethor, or so she thought. Ahem... some people might say that I couldn't understand how she felt because I was a man, but Adrama was always her father's pet and I know her well. I also remember when I was first falling in love with my wife." He smiled fondly for a moment, then continued. "I don't think she was really in love with Denethor, Addruran," he said. "See how already she ceases to care for him. It's because she's realizing the truth. And I believe in her heart, very deep down where she can barely see it, she loves you. But that is coming to light, and soon she'll know."

Addruran grasped the back of a nearby chair and gripped it tightly. Could it be that Adrama loved him? That it wasn't hopeless?

Sador hesitated for a moment, then spoke once more. "I don't know what my wife will think of it. I believe that both wife and daughter are realizing the truth... the daughter loves you and the wife is ready to take you as a son. They just need to fully realize it. But, Addruran, you have my full permission and I cannot think of a finer man for Denethor. I hope I do not cause you any embarrassment by saying this, but not even Denethor would be good enough."

Addruran, though he was still feeling weak, felt loyalty surging up in him. "Denethor is a fine man," he protested.

"He's a great man," Sador replied, chuckling a little, then he fell sober again. "He's just not the one for my Adrama." And Addruran was glad of that.

Meanwhile Adrama had taken the three ladies aside, blushing in shame and looking pleadingly at them. They couldn't understand the reason for her sorrow and fear, but they looked gently at her. A few moments passed, then Adrama decided to make a blunt confession of it. "I've treated you very horribly, and I'm sorry," she said, and her voice showed she truly was sorry.

The ladies were silent for a moment, then Averyll spoke hesitatingly. "I don't understand what you mean," she said. "When did you ever treat us badly? The only time I have spoken with you was the time we met with you and your mother for tea, but I did not notice you treating us badly."

"Perhaps not where you could see me, but I've been telling my mother horrible things about you, and I've been thinking horrible things about you, and..." Then in a rush, Adrama told those three rather startled ladies all her feelings about them since the tea party, and how she had called them cruel and malicious. When she finished, her lips were quivering and her eyes were dim. Vieana, kind and gentle of heart, immediately threw her arm around the girl's trembling shoulders and murmured forgiving words in her ear.

"So.... I'm very sorry," she finished at last, with great effort. The three ladies comforted her and showed such kindness and forgiveness that Adrama felt even worse. Averyll smiled at her and said, "Come, now, I hear your father and the young man Addruran coming. You don't want them to see you've been crying, do you?"

Adrama smiled thankfully at the three of them and went to open the door for the two. She was very startled when she saw Addruran. She had been aware that he would be there, but he strode in regally, looking down his nose at everyone and his eyes arrogant. She had never seen him look that way before. "Addruran...?" she began.

"Good day, Adrama," he said, brushing past her without even a glance at her, and surveying the room. "None of you look very important," he said scornfully.

Adrama was thoroughly shocked, as did the three ladies. She opened her mouth, stammered a few words out, then leaned against the wall for support. What had come over Addruran? What was wrong with him.

"No, indeed, you don't look like you have important papers with you," said Addruran. "Not like me!"

Adrama gaped at him, and the Dol Amroth ladies looked rather uncertainly. It seemed rather clear that, when hearing about Addruran from Pelien and Adrama, they hadn't expected him to be anything like that. "What important papers?" Adrama managed to gasp out at last, trying to keep her confusion hidden.

"Papers from none other than Ecthelion himself," Addruran replied. "Very important papers. About the corsairs, you know. And it gives orders to..." He was interrupted rudely by Adrama grabbing his arm and sharply pulling him aside, her eyes flashing. "What, Adrama?" he cried angrily. "You interrupt me, the bearer of such important papers, so rudely?"

"Addruran, I don't know what has come over you, but will you be quiet. If you are carrying important papers, don't tell everyone what they contain. I know the Dol Amroth ladies are fully trustworthy, but all the same I'm sure Ecthelion would be-"

"Adrama, this is an act," Addruran said, his voice barely a whisper. "Those papers are fake, and they're supposed to be found. I can't tell you more, but a spy..." He trailed off for a moment, then he said, "Just don't interfer, all right? Everyone in this room has to hear that I have important papers with me. And later, when the three men arrive, you'll hear much of the samet thing."

Adrama was silent for a moment, then she gave a barely perceptible nod of her head and let Addruran go. When he had crossed the room again, scornfully looking down his nose at Averyll, who was standing next to him, Adrama spoke up, her voice calm but annoyed. "Be that as it may," she said, as though she were referring to something Addruran had just said to her, "I don't believe you have important papers at all. If you do, why don't you show them to us and prove it?"

"Prove I have important papers that give orders that the corsairs should be attacked?" Addruran laughed. "I would show them to you, Adrama, only I don't have them on me right now. I left them out by the door on top of my cloak, and I don't care to go get them."

"Then I suggest we stop this foolishness about important papers and start the luncheon," Adrama said sharply. "Or shall we at least get ready? The men will be arriving any moment. And, Addruran, for goodness' sake stop looking down your nose at people. Important papers, yes. Important person? No." Inwardly she was laughing so hard that it was extremely difficult to keep her face straight.

"No doubt Ecthelion will give me a high position in his court," Addruran muttered sulkily as he took a seat, shoving Elen out of the way to do so. "After all, they are very important papers and that makes me an important person." And he scowled at Adrama. She looked at Averyll and gave an apologizing smile, though it was really a way to get some of her mirth out.

[ September 25, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]