View Single Post
Old 09-19-2003, 12:01 PM   #215
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The garrison was quiet that afternoon as Eckthelion sat waiting for Addruran to make his appearance. A number of the guards had departed earlier that day in small groups of twos and threes to search the surrounding countryside. There'd been several rumors of an attack by Orcs on innocent travellers. With that possible threat, the Steward had felt compelled to send out patrols to check on the safety of the roads, especially those that lie to the east in the foothills of the mountains.

Yet his present concerns lay closer to home. He needed to speak with Addruran and let him know what his assignment would be. There was a firm knock; then the door swung open and a young man came striding into the room.

"Sir, you wanted to see me?" Addruran respectfully nodded his head.

The Steward beckoned the guard to come inside the office, "Yes, I need you to do some work for me. This is a matter of great importance, and I must warn you to keep everything I say here in confidence. The safety of Gondor may depend on it. Come, sit down. We must talk."

For the next half hour, the two men exchanged confidences, with Eckthelion spelling out his intentions. The Steward outlined the events of the past two days for Addruran and revealed some of the information he'd gleaned as well as his plans for a luncheon at Lady Pelien's house. "And this," he added, glancing up at the guard's surprised face, "is where you come in. We must attempt to set up a situation to uncover whoever is responsible for the mishandling of these dispatches. It must be one of these three men. You will be sent an invitation to the gathering, but you will actually be acting as my agent."

"Before the party starts, I want at least twelve guards brought to the house, hidden in strategic spots in the garden and the rooms that adjoin those where the party is being held. Also hide two soldiers in the closet in the same room where the guards will be asked to lay down their cloaks and weapons for the duration of the party. You will leave this dispatch in clear sight of anyone who might walk in. Set your own cloak down first, and leave the scroll on top of it, as if you intended to deliver it after the party."

The Steward reflected a minute and then added, "In fact, let it be known to your companions at lunch that after departing from Lady Pelien's household, you will be riding down to the ships to entrust this to one of the captains. Brag a bit, if you like."

Eckthelion handed the young man what looked like an official dispatch that was being sent to Thorongil. "Here it is. Guard it with care."

"Excuse me, sir, but what does this thing say, if it is permitted to ask such a question?"

The Steward sat back and laughed, "A more prudent man would not have brought such a query to me, but you are at least honest and deserve an answer." Eckthelion hesitated and replied, "It is a letter instructing Thorongil to attack the Corsair ships, as he has so often begged me to do."

Addruran's face blanched as he took in the meaning of this message. "Sir,..."

"No, you misunderstand me. Perhaps we will come to this point someday, but we are not there yet. This document is a fake, a forgery that I intend to use to ferret out a traitor. If a man is innocent, he will leave the message alone, but if he is guilty...." The Steward's voice drifted off.

"He must open the message and memorize it, as he can not risk taking it with him. Then he will come back to the table and invent some excuse for immediately leaving the party."

"Whoever that is, you are to arrest him and bring him immediately back to the palace. I will be waiting for you."

The conversation between the two men continued for some time, focusing on the various details that would need to be worked out over the next few days. Finally, as Addruran stood up to leave the room, he extended a hand in farewell, "Sir, I will not fail you. I know how much rides on this."

The Steward nodded his head, "I am counting on that, young man, for I have confidence in your good judgment and discretion. I would not otherwise have entrusted such a mission to you. The next time you see me, you will hopefully have our culprit in tow."

With that final exchange, Addruran bowed and left the room.