View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
monks
Animated Skeleton

monks is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
But can you make 99 predictions from your understanding?

Please read my previous posts. I'm not lying- I have better things to do beleive me.

The two sides in the geometry have characteristics...which are exhibited in characters. For e.g. specifically within the Fellowship Merry and Pippin are assigned to Time and Space, the left and right hands. Pippin is the problem child as you can see all the way through. Mischievous and always a bit negative in his views. Merry is more light and breezy. But Merry isn't perfect either. That's why Pippin is involved with the Palantir and throws the stone down the well. The dichotomy also extends to Tree and Tower, and Star and Stone...The Tower is the stone...hence the stone and the palantir. That's why we get the Tree paired with the Mountain in the Hobbit riddle. Living Tree versus dead Tree (mountain/Tower/stone). And that's why Fëanor describes language (V.T 39) as a building with walls and rooms. His psychology is of the right hand alef- overly concerned with primacy, c.f his story. Language is a living tree, not dead stone. And this is why Melkor is described as a mountain that wades in the sea. See list of pairings above in response to Pitchwife.

Gimli and Legolas are paired. Correct. As Merry and Pippin are too.

And here's the twist. It's not as simple as left and right assignments because left and right swap over during the narrative. The narrative is defined by the underlying geometry. And the most thorough expression of that is in the courses of the sun and Moon. The courses of the Sun and Moon describe two spirals around each other- the two trees entwined around one another in the Wedding poem and the two spirals in the essay and in the illustration 'Before' etc. See etymology of 'twine'. When they spiral they alternate each between the left and right hands. And both exhibit characteristics of the left and right hands at that time. In this way both male and female are fallen- and both take turns in dominating the other. Hence the two Rs (wrath) back to back in the monogram. The Sun dominates during the day. The Moon dominates during the night. And that finds geometric expression in 'being on top' -'most high' (as God is described in the Rabinnic commentaries) and being 'eldest'- in the West (being the first to begin the book of Genesis- see the contest between alef and bet: bet won that one -just like the left hand of Ilúvatar is created first in the Music). While the Sun is in the sky the Moon is travelling under. Vice versa for the Night.

That's why Melkor is characterized as 'He Who Arises in Might'. This is the geometric language which incorporates proximity and facing, up/down, east-west (eldest). While both male and female are fallen, in Tolkien's geometry, the ultimate origin of the discords, the strife, in with the male right hand- Melkor. Tolkien being graceful and putting Edith above him and before him. And that agrees with the Loathly Lady theme.

Tolkien models the discords and strife between the two hands on the Rabbinic Commentaries- the Zohar. In that Adam and Eve were originally created as a hermophrodite- and back to back. Therein you see the source of the discords and the letter Rs in the monogram and the orientatiion of the male and female in the cliff face- as an expression of this 'fallen world'. Back to back. And I only found that source after formulating my understanding of the geometry- so I'm not using data to fit the theory. Quite the contrary.

You can read about it on my homepage. The Sun and Moon section though is a work in progress. You'll get a lot from it- you can read about the changing hands of the two spirals- if you're interested.

Regards Lit and Lang. Homophemes. Yes he also puns on Sun and Son and Tower and Taur- Taur being the Tree as stated above. The pun is the homopheme. He got the Sun of the Sun from Haggard's She. The influence of the book is extensive.

You can see the left and right hand pairing in the story of Denethor and his two sons Faramir and Boromir. Denethor confuses left with right. He thinks that Boromir is the right "stern" hand (the sword) because he IS ELDEST. The whole theme that I've stated runs through Tolkien's works (see original link). But Boromir is the SHIELD and the left hand- the female side. And that's what causes his confusion in his assignment of them in their roles in his strategy to fight Sauron. He is confused because just like I said in the Loathly Lady essay, he is looking eastwards- and in that article I said that orientaing westwards enables you to see which way is up down and right and left. See the articles on THE TURN in my reply to Pitchwife.. And btw I make several predictions inline while writing the 2nd essay as you'll see.

And while I'm here..someone else also described Tolkien's world in a similar fashion: a dialectic and a duality of 'solid geometry'. I came across that article in mythlore from nearly 30 years ago last year. Another coincidence..ah ummm. The 'solid geometry' he speaks of is the medieval symbolic landscape I'm proposing. Btw, it was only after reading his essay that I realized that it was a dialectic- that was the correct word for it..and then I went on to find the source: Plato's Republic and Timaeus. Bum tish. Always learning! :-)

https://dc.swosu.edu/mythlore/vol9/iss3/1/

monks

Last edited by monks; 07-06-2020 at 10:49 AM.
monks is offline   Reply With Quote