View Single Post
Old 11-27-2003, 12:29 AM   #12
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Keep in mind that the Elves were only provisionally immortal, that is to say they were to live in the M-E or Valinor until the end of time. But at that point, they really had to trust in Eru, because what comes after was unclear. In traditional faery/elf lore the Elves are said to live till the last judgement but have no souls. Tolkien was weaving a variation of this thread.

Men on the other hand are [both in JJRT's own religion and within Arda] immortal. But in spirit not in body.

Thus for men or Elves, there is no easy escape from self or the reward earned by one's actions. It is just a question of where you will be spending the next unknown thousands of years. On M-E/Valinor or as is the case with Men, gathered to Eru, but in a fashion never made clear.

Personally I would opt for the upfront immortality, but I would also have probably been one of the hot-headed Noldor who would have gotten himslef killed rather early on in Beleriand and had to chill for a while in mandos, possibly with a surly Feanor pacing eternally in the cell next to door...

Seriously, there are so many things I find fascinating and would love to master, the idea of having a few thousand years being approximately 30 sounds pretty good, but we must play the hand we are dealt...

[ 1:41 AM November 27, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote